I have a confession to make. We’ve taught our daughter to say “cray cray.” As in, crazy? Cray cray? Yeah, we say that around here. It started out as ironic-only use and then it sort of creeped its way into our everyday lexicon.
I hope we aren’t as annoying and uncool as I just made us sound.
Anyway, our gal says “cay cay!” and it’s actually pretty darn cute. Much cuter than when middle-aged adults say it.
Speaking of, I’ve been utterly cray-cray (last time I write it, promise) for quinoa frittatas this summer.
With the double hit of protein from both the eggs and the quinoa, these things are so satisfying – the perfect power breakfast. And when you make them in individual sizes, you can customize them however you please. So mixed diet homes like ours are in business – bacon, ham, or sausage in some, maybe a few extra veggies in lieu of meat in others. A mini quinoa frittata for everyone!
I love freezing these, too. All it takes is a quick two-minute zap and you’re headed out the door with a warm, satisfying breakfast in hand.
This particular combo – sharp cheddar, sweet corn, smoky green chiles and bacon if you like – isn’t only great for breakfast. These are terrific alongside a simple green salad for a quick lunch or dinner, too.
I taste-tested these for all three meals, just for you, because I’m
cray err, selfless like that.
- 5 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked quinoa, cooled (about ¾ cup dried quinoa should result in about 2 cups cooked)
- 1 cup + ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 4-ounces can diced green chiles, drained (or roast, peel, and chop your own – poblanos would be fabulous)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels (or fresh cooked kernels cut from the cob)
- ½ cup minced onion
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3-4 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- 6-8 slices thick-cut bacon, cooked, drained and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line 12 standard-size muffin tins with paper cupcake liners and spray well with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat the eggs. Add the quinoa, 1 cup cheddar cheese, chiles, corn, onion, salt, and pepper and mix.
- If adding bacon, stir that in now. If adding bacon to half, fill six of the muffin tins with the egg/quinoa then add the bacon to the bowl, stir, and fill the remaining muffin tins. Or, if you’re skipping the bacon, forget what I just said and just fill the muffin tins to the top with the egg/quinoa mixture. I use an ice cream scoop – makes it easy!
- Evenly sprinkle ¼ cup cheddar over each.
- Bake for 18 – 20 minutes until set. Remove from oven and allow to cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
- These keep refrigerated for about 3 days in an airtight container, or freeze for up to several months.