I guess I have a mini-obsession with trying to turn perfectly fine, normally healthy vegetables into their evil unhealthy cousins – fries. Although, I hardly view plain old classic french fries as “evil.” More like pure awesome all around.
But if I get to choose between a potato fried to a crisp in a giant vat of hot oil and green bean fries – drizzled with a bit of olive oil and baked to crispy wonderful perfection – it definitely behooves me to choose the latter. Both interesting-and-delicious-taste-wise and waistline-wise.
This addictive snack whips up quickly and is devoured even more quickly. Especially if you’re me and you have a hard time stopping yourself.
The green beans get tender, a little chewy, a little crisp in spots. Coarse Panko-style bread crumbs gives a satisfying crunch with every bite; Parmesan cheese and a finish of lemon juice boost their addictive flavor.
Best of all, these come together quickly – they can go from garden to table in just under a half hour.
I wonder, though, if baked fries should really be called “bakes.”
- 1 pound fresh green beans, ends trimmed
- 2 cups Panko bread crumbs
- ⅓ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- The juice from one small lemon (optional)
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In a small baking dish (room for the beans to roll around), stir together the Panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Crack eggs into a shallow dish and whisk along with 2 tablespoons water.
- Working with three or four beans at a time, dip the beans into the egg, then roll in the crumbs, turning and rolling to coat. Gently lay beans on the baking sheet in a single layer.
- Evenly drizzle olive oil on top of fries.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until tender and golden brown.
- Squeeze a little lemon juice over the beans and sprinkle with additional salt, if desired. Serve immediately.