As someone who can easily lose an hour-plus prepping dinner when I really only had 30 minutes to spare, this super-easy 12-Minute Scrambled Tofu Fried Rice is a welcome respite.
Instead of the more traditional eggs, this vegan fried rice recipe uses a good amount of tofu to increase the protein quotient and make it vegan while it’s at it.
If you’re a vegan, you undoubtedly know all about tofu scrambles. But if you don’t? Basically, you crumble up extra-firm tofu and saute it with spices and maybe a few veggies. The end result is remarkably reminiscent of scrambled eggs, especially if you throw a little turmeric into the mix to lend the tofu a yellowish hue while it cooks.
I adapted this recipe from Pinch of Yum’s 10-Minute Fried Rice. My version takes a couple more minutes because it includes onions, which isn’t necessarily normally found in fried rice, but I love the flavor it lends to the tofu.
Because we’re a mixed-diet home, sometimes my guy will crumble a little cooked bacon over his plate of fried rice. Leave it to our household to top a vegan dish with bacon!
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
12-Minute Scrambled Tofu Vegan Fried Rice
- 7 ounces (half of a 14-ounce block) extra-firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced yellow onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1 medium clove garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil (divided)
- 1 thumb-sized knob ginger (peeled and minced) (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (I like brown Basmati rice) (cold, day-old rice is best)
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2-3 tablespoons Tamari or soy sauce
- Chopped chives or other herbs
- Chopped scallions
- Sriracha sauce
- Cooked and crumbled bacon
- Diced avocado
- Set the tofu on a large cutting board and mash with a potato masher or fork until it's crumbled. Set aside.
- Place a large saute pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion. Saute until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 minute.
- Add one tablespoon of the sesame oil, then add the ginger, smoked paprika, turmeric, and mashed tofu. Cook, stirring until the spices are well-incorporated, about 2 minutes.
- Increase heat to medium-high. Add the remaining sesame oil and the rice. Cook, stirring frequently, until the rice sizzles and is thoroughly warmed through, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the corn, peas, and Tamari (or soy sauce) and cook until the veggies are warm, about one more minute.
- Taste and add additional Tamari or soy sauce if desired.
- Serve topped with chopped chives or other herbs of choice, chopped scallions, or even a little crumbled bacon for the carnivores' portions if you like. We like to pass the Sriracha with this fried rice, as well.