Move over, former favorite pizza sauce recipe. There’s a new homemade pizza sauce in town. It’s fresher, faster, and easier, and it rivals the sauce you’ll find at just about any pizza place in town.
There will always be a special place in our hearts for that other pizza sauce recipe, and we still still make it often. That one cooks low and slow, bubbling away to concentrated pizza sauce perfection. And it’s great.
But this one. This one, my friends … this is the way to go if you have 1) limited time, 2) limited patience, 3) a hangry family, 4) fresh-from-the-garden tomatoes coming out of your ears, and 5) lots more tomatoes on your windowsill that’ll also be ripe in mere days. The pressure!
That’s five good reasons for 5-Minute No-Cook Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce. Here’s a sixth: It’s frickin’ delicious!
With just a handful of ingredients and a whir (or stir), you’ll have fresh homemade pizza sauce on hand. To make it super easy and super fast, a high-powered blender is your best bet. I use my beloved Vitamix. However! If you have a smaller blender or even no blender at all, this pizza sauce is still possible, so stick with me.
Fresh tomatoes (peel on, seeds in – no need to bother removing either), tomato paste, garlic, oregano, a little olive oil, a couple dashes of salt and pepper. Some fresh basil if you have any and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes if you like your sauce to have a little heat, but they’re both totally optional. And then all you do is throw your ingredients into the pitcher of the blender and puree. Or, if you don’t have a blender, it’s still totally doable – just mince the garlic and chop your tomatoes as fine as you like and then mix in a bowl.
You’ll never believe how easy it is to make a fresh tomato pizza sauce that rivals your favorite pizza place. Yep, I love our low-and-slow recipe, but this new option is kind of a pizza night game-changer for us.
I like to slather it on thick and then only go with a light sprinkle of cheese. Counting calories and all that. Not that I notice or care, because basically I’m all like GIVE ME ALL THE PIZZA SAUCE!
So whaddya say? Let’s go fresh.
Other ways to amp up Pizza Night
Use this sauce recipe with any of these other homemade pizza ideas. Try this One-Hour Rosemary Beer Pizza Dough from The Beeroness (so good!) :: Or how about smothering some on this low-carb, gluten-free Zucchini Pizza Crust from Recipe Girl?! :: Bored with plain ol’ pizza? (Is that possible?) How about some pizza nachos or pizza quesadillas?! :: For even faster homemade pizzas, how about these super-quick veggie pita pizzas from A Couple Cooks?
5-Minute No-Cook Fresh Tomato Pizza Sauce
- 1 pound fresh tomatoes (3-4 medium, quartered)
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon clover honey or granulated sugar
- 2 medium cloves garlic*
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- Few turns fresh ground pepper
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (optional)
- Pinch crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Add all ingredients to the pitcher of a blender. Blend until completely pureed. Add additional salt and pepper to taste (I usually go with a full teaspoon salt). Spread on pizza crust; add toppings and bake as desired.
- If you don't have a blender, chop the fresh tomatoes and finely mince the garlic, then add them along with the other ingredients to a bowl. Stir until combined, taste, and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.