Club Sandwiches are so easy to make for a mixed vegetarian and carnivore group. Mix up the turkey (or Tofurky), ham (or veggie ham), and the bacon (or tofu bacon), pay attention to the mayo if you’re serving vegans, and voila!
Tall sandwiches but not a tall order.
We’ve evolved a lot as a family since I first launched Kitchen Treaty all the way back in 2012. My husband has remained steady – meat all the way, but willing to eat just about anything, including tofu. Gotta love him. My kiddo is very … selective. And I, I’ve been a vegetarian for 20 years now, a vegan for some of those years, someone who ate eggs but no dairy for a handful of years, and now, I’m happy to say I’m able to eat some dairy again, which is pretty awesome, because I missed cheese. And that is the very high-level view of how my diet has changed over the years. 😅
My evolving diet has made it difficult to remain true to one niche – you’ll find a wide variety of recipes on Kitchen Treaty – but one thing that has remained true is that dinnertime in our house generally means two or three versions of a meal.
So I lean into my original One Dish Two Ways recipes pretty hard … and we make a lot of chicken nuggets, grilled cheeses and quesadillas for the kiddo.
This sandwich is a great super fast, super easy meal for my hubby and I. My kid isn’t quite on board with sandwiches (other than grilled cheese), but sourdough and bacon are on the approved list, so we’re getting there.
What is a Club Sandwich?
The club sandwich is an iconic sandwich with turkey, ham, bacon, lettuce, tomato, and mayo. What sets club sandwiches apart are the layers – with two sandwiches in one and three slices of bread, club sandwiches need a toothpick to hold it altogether and an enthusiastic eater to make their way through the layers.
It’s easy to make club sandwiches vegetarian or vegan! Just use meat substitutes, my delicious recipe for tofu bacon, and, if vegan, vegan mayo. Perfect!
- 12 pieces thin-sliced sourdough bread
- 8 slices bacon (or tofu bacon*)
- 2 tomatos (thinly sliced)
- 8 lettuce leaves (washed and dried; I like romaine or green leaf lettuce)
- 8 tablespoons mayonnaise (or vegan mayo)
- 4 ounces sliced turkey (or tofurky or other veggie turkey)
- 4 ounces sliced ham (or hickory-smoked tofurky or veggie ham)
- 1 dash salt (to taste)
- 1 dash pepper (to taste)
- Toast the bread. Smear each slice with mayonnaise – I find that about two tablespoons per sandwich (which would be two tablespoons divided between three slices of bread) is perfect, but I like a generous smear of mayo, so adjust according to your tastes.
- Top 8 of the bread slices with the turkey (or veggie turkey), then the ham (or veggie ham), lettuce, tomato, and bacon. Dash a little salt and pepper over the top if you like. Stack one filled slice on top of the other, then flip a piece of bread with just mayo over the top, mayo side down.
- Place toothpicks or skewers through middle top of the bread, the middle bottom, and on each side. Use a large knife to cut sandwich diagonally into four pieces. The sandwich pieces should stay together thanks to the toothpick/skewer.
- Serve and enjoy!