Is your breakfast crew (or you) vegan? Or perhaps you’ve just run out of eggs or dairy milk? This recipe for the Dairy-Free Waffles is made without any dairy – and it doesn’t have any eggs, either! These waffles are light and crispy and a definite crowd pleaser.
This is the kind of recipe I love – the kind that is irresistibly delicious first, and dairy-free second. It’s the kind of waffle recipe that’s going to please everyone – dairy-free or not.
These are waffles without eggs or dairy – and they’re the kind of waffle recipe that proves you don’t need traditional ingredients to end up with the best waffles ever.
Dairy-Free Waffle Ingredients
So what makes this dairy-free waffle recipe amazing? It’s not a complicated list of stuff you’ve never heard of. It’s not a secret ingredient, either.
This recipe, in fact, has a seriously simple and almost logic-defying list of ingredients:
- All-purpose flour
- Granulated sugar
- Baking powder
- Sea salt
- Coconut milk
- Pure vanilla extract (vanilla bean if you prefer)
- Yep, that’s it!
How to Make Them
Just mix the coconut milk and vanilla together, then stir in the remaining ingredients. One bowl – so simple!
I learned the base recipe through the plant-based culinary course I’m taking I was shocked by how delicious the waffles were! I tweaked the recipe ever-so-slightly, messing a bit with the quantities and adding vanilla to the equation, and have been making them ever since.
I love how the coconut milk works in these waffles, lending enough fat to crisp the edges beautifully. No butter or other dairy needed.
Basically, these waffles are a glorious, crowd-pleasing, light-and-crispy, perhaps even life-changing treat. Is “life-changing” taking it too far?
More Dairy-Free Waffles & Pancakes
- These Vegan Banana Almond Butter Waffles are crispy-edged and so hearty.
- If you’re craving pumpkin pancakes, I have a couple of recipes for you – my original Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes (with a dairy-free option), or these Vegan Pumpkin Pancakes. Both perfect for fall!
- Blender pancakes are so amazing! These pancake recipes feature oat flour and are fully dairy-free, vegan, and gluten-free – plus they whip up in and pour from your blender pitcher. Here’s the fabulous Banana-Oat version and another one with blueberries.
- Fluffy Banana Pancakes are a more classic banana-buttermilk pancake recipe. This one has a dairy-free option that’s as delicious as the original.
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk (about 1 3/4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (or one vanilla bean, split and scraped -or- 2 teaspoons vanilla bean paste [affiliate link])
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I like fine-grain sea salt for this recipe)
- Your favorite cooking spray (if needed)
- Pure maple syrup
- butter (vegan or otherwise – whatever you like!)
- Fresh berries
- Waffle maker
- Preheat your waffle maker.
- If the coconut milk is solidified, place it into a small saucepan and set over low heat. Heat just until liquid, but not warm.
- Pour coconut milk into a large mixing bowl. Scrape the pulp of the vanilla bean into the coconut milk (discard the pod) or add vanilla bean paste or extract. Stir to combine.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Stir gently with a wooden spoon just until combined (if you overmix, you risk making the waffles tough; don’t worry, a few lumps are okay).
- Spray your preheated waffle maker with cooking spray, if using. Pour batter into your waffle maker according to manufacturer instructions, as waffle makers vary. My waffle maker takes a heaping 1/3 cup per side.
- Cook until golden brown, as per your individual waffle maker.
- Serve with pure maple syrup, butter (or vegan butter), fresh berries, or anything else you’d like!