Our Kitchen Renovation: The Planning (and Dreaming!) Begins
We moved into our new house a few months ago, and while the kitchen was already in fairly good shape, there are a few aesthetic, storage, and general flow issues we’d love to address – and soon, if possible. New high-end appliances, too – that would be pretty awesome. We’re on a tight budget, but hey, this is about dreaming!
Today I’m sharing all about the changes we’d love to make to our own home kitchen!
Our Kitchen Now
What we love
- The counters. They’re actually a solid, quality laminate that we love. They’re forgiving of my messy kitchen ways, and they don’t *scream* “hey, we’re laminate!” Do I freakin’ LOVE the look of carrera marble? Yes, yes I do. Would I stain my new marble countertops within one hour of installation? Yes, yes I would.
- The nice, big chunk of counter space on the island. So perfect for rolling pastries, baking cookies, and myriad other kitchen tasks that require a good deal of unencumbered counter space.
- The light. We get such good light in this kitchen!
- The floors. Hardwoods aren’t the most practical choice for the kitchen, but they’re sure pretty.
What we don’t love … and what we would like to do instead
- We love the space on the island, but the configuration is a little weird. There’s a bar there, so theoretically there should be room for seating, but it’s way too tight of a space for bar stools. So we just tuck the pet bowls underneath. Not great.
- And yeah, more counter space would be good. On the refrigerator side of the kitchen is a wall of cabinets that serve as food storage and, in theory, they should be kind of incredible in lieu of a pantry. But in actuality, we miss an actual pantry, and we would love more counter space and small appliance storage. So we want to knock out the wall of cabinets on that wall and put in a countertop (with upper cabinets and lower cabinets so we don’t sacrifice too much storage). And then we’ll move the food back to the pantry that’s on the other side of the fridge. That pantry currently functions as a frustrating catch-all for grocery bags, BBQ utensils, cutting boards, and appliances. Oh, and we’ve got our jars of flour and sugar in there, too.
- The pot rack above the island. I thought we’d get rid of it the first week we lived in the house, but as it turned out, we really need it to store our pots and pans. But perhaps we can reconfigure the island underneath to efficiently store those pots and pans – and then install some nice pendant lighting above the island.
- We don’t love the builder-grade cabinets, but mostly we’re opposed to the color. We want to paint them and update the hardware. And I’d like to add a few window fronts to show off my Fiestaware.
- The lone cupboard to the left of the sink. I’d like to swap that out for some open shelving to help lighten up the room.
- The electric stove. We like gas, man! So we would love to make the swap.
- The fridge. We just really need something bigger.
- The sink. My guy actually doesn’t mind the black granite sink, but it’s not my fave. Fortunately, he does have dreams of an undermount sink (“you can just sweep the crumbs right in!”) and I have dreams of a farmhouse sink. And there are undermount farmhouse sinks, so, yay! That’s on our wish list.
- That backsplash. We’ve actually received a lot of compliments on it since we moved in, but I prefer to replace it with something light, bright, and airy.
- The breakfast nook. What would normally be formal dining space, we set up as our daughter’s playroom. So the table in the nook is all we’ve got. But it also gets in the way of the only door that goes outside, so we’d like reconfigure things a bit, there. We’re just not really sure how! I do know I’d like to paint the chairs in brighter, happier colors (or replace them altogether), and paint the table white (or replace it altogether).
Our Dream Kitchen
Okay, so our dream kitchen really involves knocking out a wall or two, to make it bigger, open up the space, and reconfigure the flow, but right now, we’ve got to work within our means. This inspiration board mostly reflects the realistic updates/upgrades we’d like to make happen – with a few dream items here and there, too. Because it’s good to dream!
Clockwise from top: Benjamin Moore paint colors Gray Owl / White Dove / Van Alen Green / Calypso Blue | Subway tile via Overstock.com | Kitchen cabinet door and hardware via Lowes.com | Delicious wooden kitchen sign from SunFla on Etsy| Anthropologie Etched Perennial Pot in Lime | LG Studio Four-Door French Door Refrigerator | Overstock “La France” Pedastal Dining Table | Mint Ghost Chair via Joss & Main | Kohler Apron-Front Sink | Fiestaware 4-Piece Place Setting in Turquoise | Crate & Barrel French Kitchen Pastry Slab | Dash & Albert Fisher Ticking Woven Cotton Rug | Barnlight Electric Contemporary Bronzed Stem Mount Pendant | Anthropologie Galleria Stemware | LG Studio Gas Single Oven Range | LG Studio Over-the-Range Microwave | Rustic Wood Peace Sign Wall Decor from shoponelove on Etsy.
I love light, bright, white kitchens – and for ours, I can’t help but want to incorporate beachy pops of color here and there. There’s just something about the coastal cottage vibe that just makes me happy – and it’s perfect for our casual, low-key family. And the peace sign is a must – we’ve got a “kitchen treaty,” after all! We’d love to include a few high-end appliances in our remodel – the biggie is that we would like to swap our existing electric stove for a higher-end gas version.
Stay tuned for more about our kitchen remodel. Can’t wait to make this happen!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a portion of the proceeds. More about this here.