This one is perfect for a holiday morning when time is tight and something special is in order. Put it together the night before, then just pull it out of the fridge and bake up a sinfully delicious breakfast while you’re off taking care of other things.
We’ve also plopped a bit of vanilla ice cream on the top of leftover slices for a quick, almost bread-pudding-like dessert.
Here’s the recipe!
Overnight Caramel Pecan French Toast
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup pecans (chopped)
- 6 - 7 thick slices French bread (about 3/4 inches thick)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Grease a 9" x 13" pan.
- Over low heat, combine the brown sugar, light corn syrup, butter, and whipping cream in a medium saucepan.
- Keeping the heat on low (letting it get too hot is bad - and don't let it boil!), stir constantly until the butter is melted and the ingredients are smooth.
- Remove from heat and add 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- Pour the warm caramel mixture into a 9" x 13" pan.
- Sprinkle the pecans over the top.
- In a large bowl, beat together the milk, eggs, salt, the other 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla, and cinnamon.
- Dip the bread into the egg mixture, making sure each piece is well-coated. You want to soak up all of the mixture with your six or seven slices of bread.
- Lay the bread in the pan, over the caramel and pecan mixture.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- It's morning! Ready for some breakfast? Preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
- Remove the cover from the pan and bake for 20 minutes, until the bottom is bubbling and the toast is golden brown.
- Let stand for a couple of minutes, then invert onto a platter.
- Eat right away!