This lemony quinoa and chickpea salad might just be the easiest you’ve ever made. And with loads of lemon, tons of chickpeas, and dill, possibly the tastiest too!
Well, this quinoa and chickpea salad was kind of a weird little revelation for me. It’s just SO EASY to whip up and have in the fridge, at the ready for snack attacks or quick lunches.
And by easy, I really do mean easy and so simple. Only 8 ingredients, and that’s including the olive oil and salt!
This salad really is super easy to throw together, especially if I’m cooking up a batch of quinoa for another meal. I cook extra to throw together this salad, add a can of drained chickpeas, some scallions, a whole lotta fresh dill (YUM), and the super simple dressing. DONE!
This quinoa chickpea salad tastes best after a day of lounging around in the fridge, giving the dill time to really mingle with the other ingredients.
It’s delicious atop a bed of arugula for an easy lunch or perfect as a hearty side with dinner. I’ll be honest, I’ve even had it for breakfast – with all that protein, it’s kinda perfect for that meal too.
Lemony Quinoa & Chickpea Salad
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed with cold water (about 1 1/2 cups cooked))
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas (a.k.a. garbanzo beans) (about 1 1/2 cups cooked), drained and rinsed
- About 6 scallions (sliced (about 1/2 cup))
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill (1 generous handful)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice (from about 2 medium lemons)
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- Cook the quinoa. Rinse quinoa under cold water and drain. Place in a small pot on the stove and add 3/4 cup water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook about 15 minutes, just until tender and translucent, with the white tail removed from the seed. Remove from heat and pour into a large bowl. Stir and spread a bit to let cool some (but it does not need to cool completely).
- Add the chickpeas, scallions, and dill. Stir gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, and 1/2 teaspoon salt until combined. Pour over the quinoa mixture. Stir to combine.
- Taste and add more salt if desired. Flavors will develop more after the salad chills.
- Cover and refrigerate until it’s time to eat. Best flavor is achieved after about 24 hours but it’s still delicious right after mixing! Keeps about 4 days in the fridge.