I’ve tried many, many variations of vegetarian chili over the years, but this Slow Cooker 3-Bean Chili is really the very best. I tried super simple chili, chili with a gazillion ingredients, chili with “secret ingredients” like unsweetened cocoa or brewed coffee (both very good, actually) … but this vegetarian Crock Pot chili rules them all.
This slow cooker 3-bean chili recipe is the one that’s been floating around on a piece of paper with the title of “THE Chili.” My guy took a bite of his version (with meat) and said, “This is it. You can stop at this one. It’s perfect.” I feel the same way about the vegetarian/vegan version.
The bonus is that this Slow-Cooker 3-Bean Chili is super simple to throw together, and takes next to no work to cook.
It bubbles in the Crock Pot all day, simmering to dinnertime perfection. If you’re okay with the vegan version, it’s done when you get home. If you want it one-dish-two-ways style, just brown the ground beef, simmer some of the chili together with the meat for a bit, and dinner’s ready.
As-is without the Tabasco, this is a nice, mild, family-friendly chili – not much heat at all. Add the Tabasco at the end, offer it up as a topping, or omit it altogether, depending on your preferences.
More Crock Pot chili recipes
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Coconut Chili from The Fig Tree
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Red Lentil Chili from moi!
- Lentil Chili with Roasted Red Peppers, Olives, and Green Onion from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Black Bean & Mango Caribbean Chili from me!
- Slow Cooker 3-Bean Winter Chili from Boulder Locavore
- 17 Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipes (+ 4 bonus meaty chili recipes for the carnivores)
Slow-Cooker 3-Bean Chili
- 30 ounces chili beans in sauce (2 [15-ounce] cans)
- 15 ounces kidney beans, drained (1 [15-ounce] can)
- 15 ounces black beans, drained (1 [15-ounce] can)
- 30 ounces fire-roasted diced tomatoes (2 [15-ounce] cans; crushed tomatoes are also good)
- 2 medium green peppers (diced [about 3 cups])
- 2 medium yellow onions (diced [about 3 cups])
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder*
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 20 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
- Add all ingredients except the Tabasco (if using) and the ground beef to the slow-cooker/Crock Pot. Stir. Cook on low for 8 – 10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Taste and add Tabasco if desired. If serving an all-vegan chili, skip to “Serve with toppings.”
- Serve with assorted toppings such as diced avocado, fresh cilantro, chopped onions, sour cream (or vegan sour cream), grated cheddar or jack cheese (or vegan cheese), and some Tabasco or Tapatio sauce.