I’ve tried many, many variations of vegetarian chili over the years. Super simple chili, chili with a gazillion ingredients, chili with “secret ingredients” like unsweetened cocoa or brewed coffee (both very good, actually).
But this slow cooker chili recipe is the one that’s been floating around on a piece of paper with the title of “THE Chili.” My guy took a bite of his version (with meat) and said, “This is it. You can stop at this one. It’s perfect.” I feel the same way about the vegan version.
The bonus is that this Slow-Cooker Easy 3-Bean Vegetarian Chili is super simple to throw together, and takes next to no work to cook.
It bubbles in the Crock Pot all day, simmering to dinnertime perfection. If you’re okay with the vegan version, it’s done when you get home. If you want it one-dish-two-ways style, just brown the ground beef, simmer some of the chili together with the meat for a bit, and dinner’s ready.
As-is without the Tabasco, this is a nice, mild, family-friendly chili – not much heat at all. Add the Tabasco at the end, offer it up as a topping, or omit it altogether, depending on your preferences.
This chili freezes really well. I scoop leftovers into freezer bags, label, and stick in the freezer for super-easy future meals or even to top nachos. Double the recipe to ensure lots of extra – just make sure you’re using a big Crock Pot!
More Crock Pot chili recipes
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash Coconut Chili from The Fig Tree
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Red Lentil Chili from Kitchen Treaty
- Lentil Chili with Roasted Red Peppers, Olives, and Green Onion from Kalyn’s Kitchen
- Slow Cooker Black Bean & Mango Caribbean Chili from Kitchen Treaty
- Slow Cooker 3-Bean Winter Chili from Boulder Locavore
- 17 Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipes (+ 4 bonus meaty chili recipes for the carnivores)
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
Slow-Cooker Easy Three-Bean Chili
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chili beans in sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce can) black beans, drained
- 2 (15-ounce cans) fire-roasted diced tomatoes (crushed tomatoes are also good)
- 2 medium green peppers (chopped (about 3 cups chopped))
- 2 medium yellow onions (chopped (about 3 cups chopped))
- 2 medium cloves garlic (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 20 dashes Tabasco sauce (optional)
If adding ground beef to half:
- 1 pound lean ground beef
If adding ground beef to all:
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- Add all ingredients except the Tabasco (if using) and the ground beef to the slow-cooker/Crock Pot. Stir. Cook on low for 8 - 10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. Taste and add Tabasco if desired. If serving an all-vegan chili, skip to "Serve with toppings."
- In a medium or large saucepan, brown the ground beef over medium heat with a little salt and pepper for flavor, if you wish. Drain off any fat. Add five cups of the chili to the browned ground beef. Stir, continuing the medium heat, and heat until boiling. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 - 30 minutes.
- In a medium or large saucepan, brown the ground beef over medium heat with a little salt and pepper for flavor, if you wish. Drain off any fat. Add to the chili in the Crock Pot either at the beginning of the cooking process or near the end.
- Serve with assorted toppings such as diced avocado, fresh cilantro, chopped onions, sour cream (or vegan sour cream), grated cheddar or jack cheese (or vegan cheese), and some Tabasco or Tapatio sauce.