You’ve arrived at the easiest, creamiest, coziest Pumpkin Chickpea Curry Recipe around. If you’re a pumpkin lover, this chickpea and lentil curry is for you!
Seriously, this pumpkin chickpea curry is so easy, yet so good. Throw it all in the Crock Pot in the morning, and with a pot of rice added to the mix, you’re good to go in the evening.
The lentils add heft and protein; the chickpeas are just plain awesome as always; the pumpkin contributes to a creamy, slightly sweet base that pairs so perfectly with the curry spices.
This recipe came about one morning not long ago when I was prepping for this Slow Cooker Pumpkin Red Lentil Chili. The lentils were in, the pumpkin puree was in, the onion was in … and then I realized I really wasn’t feeling chili. What I was really craving was something akin to this chickpea curry, a recipe a friend had recently tried and enthusiastically described and I couldn’t get it out of my head.
And so I decided to go that direction instead. The result was incredible, and with a couple of minor tweaks to the original experiment, this creamy, satiating curry recipe was born. And this it’s been a family favorite ever since.
So what’s in this Pumpkin Chickpea Curry recipe?
Slow Cooker Pumpkin, Chickpea, & Lentil Curry Ingredients
- Chickpeas – protein!
- Split red lentils – MORE protein!
- Pumpkin puree – vitamins, creaminess, and deliciousness
- Vegetable broth – can substitute water for a more budget-friendly but still delicious result
- Curry powder – of course
- Cayenne – for a smidge of heat
- Coconut milk – for a comforting creaminess
To make this delicious Pumpkin Chickpea Curry, it’s just a matter of dumping all of the ingredients except the coconut milk into your Crock Pot, and letting it simmer all day. About 30. minutes before dinner, stir in the coconut milk and start some rice. Spoon your chickpea lentil curry over the rice, green it up with some cilantro, and dig in.
I really like to double this recipe, adding all of the ingredients (except coconut milk) to a freezer bag. Then I label, freeze, put it in the fridge the night before a hectic day, and then add it to the Crock Pot that morning for just about the easiest dinner around. Plus, who doesn’t need a bowl of creamy, hearty comfort at the end of a busy day?
Slow Cooker Pumpkin, Chickpea, and Red Lentil Curry
- 2 (15-ounce) cans chickpeas (drianed)
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup split red lentils (rinsed)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 tablespoon curry powder*
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can coconut milk (I use full-fat for this recipe; lite will probably still taste great but might result in a thinner curry)
- Add all ingredients except the coconut milk to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Cook on low 8-10 hours or in high 5-6 hours. Stir in the coconut milk and cook on low for another 30 minutes.
- The curry will be a bit thin at first; it thickens up as it sits.
- Scoop over rice and serve with cilantro and fresh lime wedges to squeeze over the top.