I first published this recipe for Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili with back in 2015. This hearty vegetarian chili with sweet potatoes, quinoa, and black beans, remains one of my favorite chili recipes!
With these dark, chilly evenings we have going on, along with seriously busy days, this is the perfect easy weeknight meal. Dump it all in the slow cooker in the morning and come home to dinner! What could be better than that?
When it comes to vegetarian chili recipes – especially ones made in the Crock Pot – I feel like I have to reign myself in. Or else basically, I’d have to call this blog “Kitchen Chili.” Or “Chili Treaty.” Neither of which are very catchy.
It’s just that chili is the perfect food for vegetarians. I know, I know – there are many arguments about what makes a “real” chili, and meat is one of the ingredients that many consider a must. To which I oh-so-wisely and poignantly say: “Whatever.” I think chili is what you make it – and it doesn’t need meat, goshdarnit! There are so many infinitely awesome variations of chili and such an assortment of potential meatless ingredients that it is more than possible to create a hearty, satiating, and dare I say award-winning bowl of meatless chili.
(But if your resident carnivore really, really wants meat in their bowl of black bean sweet potato quinoa chili, this chili would lend itself well to some cooked diced chicken or browned ground turkey thrown in to their portions).
I especially adore quinoa in chili – it helps thicken up the batch and adds another element of filling protein.
If you don’t have black beans on hand for this Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili, it’s equally great with pinto beans, or you might try kidney beans, too.
Chili Treaty, man. I should totally make it happen, right?
Don’t answer that.
Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 1/2 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed well in cool water)
- 3 cups cooked black beans (about 2 [15-ounce] cans, drained)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 2 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced)
- 1 green bell pepper (diced)
- 1 jalapeno pepper (seeded and minced*)
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (more or less to taste)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Additional salt and pepper to taste
- Add all ingredients (except additional salt and pepper and toppings) to a 3-quart or larger slow cooker. Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 5-6 hours. That’s it! Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve with assorted toppings. Keeps refrigerated in an airtight container for about 3 days. It freezes well, too!