I am SO EXCITED for summer. Back when we bought our new place, we were lucky enough to score a roomy back deck. And basically, when the weather warms up, we live on the thing.
See! This is me right this very second.
Notice the black covered behomoth at left? That’s our grill! That grill gets a looooot of use in the spring and summer. These past couple of years, it’s been churning out these Smoky Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro & Lime. Good grill!
Last summer, I was determined to find an easy way to grill sweet potatoes. They’re such a hearty foodstuff and it just seems like they belong on the grill.
After poking around various sites and being turned off by many recipes that required pre-cooking your sweet potatoes before plopping them on the grill, I found this method on Simply Recipes. You cut the sweet potatoes vertically, and slice them thin enough so that they cook through nicely on the grill, no pre-cooking needed. Done!
I opted to add this sweet and smoky spice rub to the sweet potatoes before grilling them. This gives them loads of flavor and, as far as I’m concerned, makes them extra special. We made these all the time last summer, and this year, it’s shaping up to be more of the same.
I like to finish off my sweet potato deliciousness off with a good squeeze of lime and a few flecks of cilantro.
Summer life is good.
Smoky Grilled Sweet Potatoes with Cilantro & Lime
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (scrubbed well and sliced lengthwise 1/4-inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Approx. 3 tablespoons Sweet & Smoky BBQ Dry Rub Mix
- A couple of limes (halved)
- A handful of cilantro (chopped)
- Preheat your grill to medium-high (direct heat).
- Brush the sliced sweet potatoes with olive oil and rub with about 1 teaspoon of spice mix per side.
- Lay potatoes on the grill and cook until grill lines form, 5-6 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until cooked through and tender, about 5-6 more minutes. Remove from the grill and lay on a platter. Squeeze lime juice over the top and sprinkle with cilantro. Serve immediately.