Remember those soft-baked chocolate chip cookies you’d buy in the snack food aisle? Bendy, pliable, perfect for sinking your teeth into one. Or – ahem – seven. These almond flour chocolate chip cookies totally remind me of those. They’re melty, bendy little gems that satisfy your chocolate chip cookie craving while also being gluten-free, dairy-free, and surprisingly low in sugar and carbohydrates.
Did you ever think that gluten free, dairy free chocolate chip cookies would look like this?!
These Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies are a favorite around here. They truly taste melt-in-your-mouth divine, and they’re so much easier to make than traditional chocolate chip cookies! All you do is stir the coconut oil and pure maple syrup together, then stir in the egg, almond flour, baking soda, salt, vanilla, and – of course! – chocolate chips.
I love to use mini chocolate chips in this almond flour chocolate chip cookie recipe because I love how they add sweetness throughout the entire cookie and just make them seem so much more chocolatey.
Chocolatey is good!
So: expectations. These almond flour cookies are not your typical chewy chocolate chip cookies. As the title implies, they’re soft and bendy and they melt in your mouth and – yes! – they’re really, really tasty. The almond flour does give them a bit more texture than your typical chocolate chip cookie, but we love it.
If you’re in need of a gluten free chocolate chip cookie recipe (or dairy-free chocolate chip cookies) (or both!) and you’re tired of sandy, dry cookies, give these a try – they’re anything but.
And! If you’re eating low carb, and looking for low carb almond flour chocolate chip cookies, you may have just found what you’re looking for. Sorry U2!
Soft-Baked Almond Flour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 tablespoons solid coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour or almond meal ((I have used both with success))
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips + more for topping if desired ((we like Enjoy Life dairy-free chocolate chips))
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat. Set aside.
- Add the coconut oil and the pure maple syrup to a large bowl. If the oil is very hard, microwave for a few seconds until soft but not melted. Stir briskly with a whisk until the syrup and oil are mixed together - this may take a minute or two. Add the egg and vanilla and whisk together until combined.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the almond flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients and stir together with a wooden spoon until combined. Stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips.
- Scoop mounded tablespoonfuls onto the cookie sheet, spacing about two inches apart. Press down gently with your fingers to flatten slightly. Top each with a few additional chocolate chips, if desired.
- Bake until set and the edges are golden brown, 8-9 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for about 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cookies keep well in an airtight container at room temperature for 4-5 days.