Today, I thought I’d re-share this recipe from a couple of years ago, a favorite potato salad that’s probably unlike any potato salad you’ve had. Mayo free, white potato free, gluten-free, dairy-free … we’re looking at sweet potatoes and beans tossed in a wonderful vinaigrette for a healthy, potluck-friendly dish.
We’ve been experiencing some seriously summer-like weather here in the Pacific Northwest, and it has me oh-so ready for everything that comes with the gloriousness of the season. Like barbecues! Especially barbecues! Because I’ve decided that this Three Bean Sweet Potato Salad is the perfect thing to take to said barbecues all summer long.
Why? Well …
- It’s a potato salad! Potato salads are perfect for barbecues. But …
- It’s not mayo-based! So you don’t have to be worried about mayo out in the hot-hot sun (or just the heaviness of mayo for that matter)
- It’s vegan and gluten-free, but not so crazy out-there that all the other revelers won’t want to partake too.
- So it’s a perfect side for them but would also work as a main for you (assuming you’re vegan, vegetarian, gluten-free, or all three) if need be.
I love the idea of this salad for fall, too – I mean, just look at those colors! But I just couldn’t wait until then to share my new favorite potato salad with you. It had to happen now.
Ah heck, let’s just declare this potato salad perfect for any of the four seasons, and call it good.
(But especially for barbecues and summer!)
Three Bean Sweet Potato Salad
- 1 pound sweet potatoes (about 2 small or 1 large, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 pound green beans (trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion (about 1/2 small onion)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (granulated sugar would also work)
- 1 teaspoon stone-ground mustard or other brown mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley (either Italian or curly work)
- Fill a large pot halfway full with water and place over high heat. Add a few pinches of salt to the water if desired. Bring water to a boil. Carefully add the sweet potatoes and boil until almost fork-tender, 4-5 minutes. Add the green beans and cook for three more minutes, until bright green and tender. Drain and let cool slightly. Add to a large bowl along with the chickpeas, kidney beans, and onion. Stir gently to combine, trying not to break up the sweet potatoes.
- To a small bowl, add the olive oil, vinegar, pure maple syrup, mustard, salt, pepper, and parsley. Whisk until combined. Pour over the potatoes and beans. Toss gently to coat veggies with dressing. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve immediately for a warm potato salad (my preference) or chill until ready to serve.
First published on April 21, 2015