Whenever I host a Mother’s Day meal, I naturally turn to pink. Pink everything. Pink flowers. Pink dishes. And, of course, pink food and drink.
I mean, what better color to celebrate women everywhere?! It’s the most feminine color around. And so many delicious foods lend themselves naturally to this, the chickiest of hues. Like strawberries. And raspberries. Radishes, potatoes, even some onions. And of course – of course! – watermelon. The queen of melons, she’s sweet, she’s succulent, and she’s as rosy as they get.
You know where I’m going with this. Watermelon agua fresca is indeed the perfect shade of pink for Mom’s Day. And you know what else is awesome about this stuff? Unlike most agua frescas, this one has zero sugar added! None! It doesn’t need it.
Coconut water, pureed watermelon, and a squeeze of lime. That’s it.
The natural sweetness in both the watermelon and the coconut water are plenty to make this perfectly drinkable and completely refreshing. The perfect summer drink. Light, hydrating, delicious – but not cloying.
If you really, really want yours a little sweeter, just stir in a little sugar until it dissolves, but I uphold it truly doesn’t need any. I also don’t find full-on sugar soda or heavy fruit juices refreshing – especially in the heat of summer – so this watermelon agua fresca is what I’ll be sipping on instead. With a decorative straw. It makes all of the difference.
Bonus: I’ll feel totally girly while drinking it. Pinkies up! (Oh, and Moms: Happy Mother’s Day!)
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- 1 3 pound seedless watermelon, cubed (about 5 cups)
- 4 cups 1 quart coconut water
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from 1 medium lime)
- Puree the watermelon in a blender. Place a fine-mesh sieve over a pitcher and carefully pour the pureed watermelon through the sieve. Discard pulp.
- Stir in coconut water and lime juice.
- Chill, covered, until cold - at least an hour. Serve over ice.