This warm and cozy stew is the best of many worlds. A riff on West African Peanut Soup, it has a tomato and peanut base like its inspiration, plus sweet potatoes, spinach, and (a must!) crunchy peanuts on top.
Peanut butter, spinach, and sweet potato, you say? YES. It’s the MOST glorious combo – trust me.
For us, West African Peanut Stew has been a definite dinner-on-repeat over the course of the winter. It has a relatively simple list of ingredients, so it’s an easy throw-together meal for weeknights.
What do we have? Well, these ingredients, for one:
Peanut butter, sweet potatoes, garlic, ginger, onion, crushed tomatoes, and spinach. Plus ground cumin and ground coriander. YUM. AND cayenne pepper for a touch of irresistible heat.
You start by sauteeing the aromatics, then add the broth and sweet potatoes. Simmer until the potatoes are tender, then melt in the peanut butter and stir in the spinach just until wilted.
Serve up with a nice scoop of brown rice and top with lots of chopped salted peanuts and some cilantro and BOOM! Dinner is served.
Do people still say “BOOM?” Probably not.
This stew though! Do it.
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
West African Peanut Stew with Sweet Potato & Spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion (diced) (about 2 cups)
- 3 medium cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced) (about 2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red cayenne pepper (plus or minus to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- Fresh cilantro
- Chopped salted peanuts
- Cook the rice according to package instructions.
- While the rice cooks, make the stew. Set a medium soup pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. When hot, add the olive oil and the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6-8 minutes. Add the garlic, cumin, and coriander and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, ginger, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Once the stew comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered until the sweet potatoes are tender, 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in the peanut butter and the spinach. Stew is done when the peanut butter has distributed and the spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you like.
- Serve with a scoop of brown rice and garnish with cilantro and peanuts.