If this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup could talk, it would say, “Hello! I am the perfect winter soup!”
But if it could talk, and if you’re a vegetarian, you might have a problem with eating a food that talks. So no worries – this soup does not talk. And because this Creamy Sweet Potato Soup is made with vegetable stock instead of chicken stock, it is especially perfect for you.
The Story Behind the Recipe
I don’t want to whine about the weather, I really don’t. I mean, I don’t necessarily have to live in Washington State. It’s a free country. And these dreary, gray winters are the price we pay for stellar spring days, glorious summers, and amazing autumns.
But if I were to whine, I would mention that winters here stink, and I am in desperate need of a little sun, a lot of light, and the feel of warm sun on my skin. Ugh. Desperate need.
I know, I totally know, that winters are the best time (and a wonderful excuse) to get cozy in front of the fire (or cuddle in bed in front of the TV and season 2 of Downton Abbey pretty much right as soon as the kid goes to bed at 7:30 p.m., as the case may be, not that we know much about that…).
And I guess since we are talking about the positives of winters and not whining about day after day of depressing damp gloom, I can also mention that soup – nice, piping hot, hearty, creamy, delicious soup – is also a bonus that the season brings.
Oh hey! Like, say, this soup, for instance!
What Does Creamy Sweet Potato Soup Taste Like?
Sweet potatoes and rosemary, pureed with a hunk of cream cheese (light or vegan if you prefer, both work great – and there are more options too if you keep scrolling) make for a rich, velvety soup. No texture here, just smooth, rich, winter-cozy nirvana. Savory, creamy, perfect for dunking crusty bread into.
How Flexible Is This Recipe?
Very! Dairy-lovers will love it as it was originally written, with cream cheese. But this soup is still perfectly delicious without any cream cheese. Lately I’ve been enjoying it with a splash of almond milk instead. Cashew cream is great too.
This Creamy Sweet Potato Rosemary soup is a perfect example of how a few choice ingredients in a simple, easy recipe can really shine.
Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- 1 large shallot (thinly sliced [about 1 cup sliced]; can substitute 1 cup diced yellow onion)
- 1 large clove garlic (minced)
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary + more for garnish if desired
- 1 pound approx. 1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 3 cups)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper + more to taste
- 4 ounces light cream cheese (room temperature [see "Vegan Option" below for alternatives])
- Optional toppings: A drizzle of olive oil or a few fresh rosemary leaves
- Set a medium soup pot over medium heat. When hot, add the olive oil and, if using, the butter. When hot, add the shallots (or onions). Saute, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until translucent and tender. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the rosemary, sweet potatoes, and vegetable broth. Continue heating over medium heat until the soup comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 – 25 minutes, until potatoes are tender. Let cool until it’s safe to puree.
- Using an immersion blender or working in batches with an upright blender, puree the soup.
- Return soup to pan and add the cream cheese (or alternatives). Whisk briskly over low heat until cream cheese is completely dissolved.
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired. Serve.