We’re a sleepy household these days. With an almost-four-week-old in the house, the longest we get to sleep is in three-and-a-half-hour stretches. (Well, last week I thought my baby slept for five and a half hours, until my guy reminded me that I actually did get up during that time. I didn’t believe him until I checked my iPhone app that I use to track feedings … sure enough, a 3 a.m. feeding that I didn’t remember, until about 15 minutes later when it finally came back to me. Scary.)
So, life’s going by in a bit of a sleep-deprived, slightly confused blur. Even the dogs, who dutifully accompany me to my comfy chair in the nursery for every nighttime feeding, are feeling the interruptions … they sleep a lot more during the day. Oftentimes on the sofa, butt-to-butt, as if they find it reassuring that even though this strange little human has invaded their space, at least they’ve still got each other.
So with all this lack of sleep going on around here, naturally I would be attracted to cookies like these that are heavy on chocolate and caffeinated to boot. So attracted, in fact, that I’m sending the majority of them to work with my guy tomorrow, lest I eat the entire batch myself.
These cookies are awesome. They’re essentially your basic chocolate chip cookie recipe, transformed by two simple ingredients. Add instant espresso and unsweetened cocoa powder and you get cookies that are intense, delicious, out-of-this-world, the stuff that dreams are made of. If only I remembered what it was like to sleep long enough to dream.
(Not that I’d change a thing, of course!)
Espresso Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 sticks (1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 eggs (preferably room temperature)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups one 16 oz. bag semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment (or in a large bowl with a hand mixer) beat the butter for about a minute.
- Mix in the sugar and brown sugar on medium speed, and beat until fluffy (about two minutes).
- Add the vanilla extract and espresso powder and mix until well incorporated.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Place a sifter over the bowl, and add the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt. Sift it into the bowl, then mix the flour in with the butter mixture just until incorporated.
- Mix in the chocolate chips, just until incorporated.
- Place in heaping tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet, about two inches apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until they're set and appear somewhat dry around the edges. Turn around the cookie sheet halfway through to help the cookies bake evenly.
- Let the cookies sit on the cookie sheet for about five minutes, then carefully transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
they look really crunchy and so easy to make, espresso and chocolate is always a good combination
Oh, I love your sweet pups….and also these amazing cookies!!!
Pingback: Archived! Cookies, Cupcakes, and a Cookie Cupcake | Kitchen Treaty