It took me awhile to succumb, but I finally have. I have tried – and, as it turns out, love – green smoothies.
As far as green smoothies go, my recipe is pretty mainstream, I think. The green is simply thanks to a couple of healthy handfuls of fresh spinach leaves, which lend it its pretty (or pretty ugly, depending on your point of view) green hue, but you don’t taste the spinach. At all.
Banana and Greek yogurt make this spinach green smoothie nice and creamy; blueberries, fresh-squeezed orange juice, and honey just make it dang delicious.
Really. If you haven’t had a green smoothie, give it a whirl. I promise, they’re tasty. Even my guy likes them, and that’s saying something. We’ve been enjoying these on weekday mornings as an energizing start to our day, or I’ll whip one up as an afternoon pick-me-up.
You can swap the blueberries for strawberries or raspberries too. Your smoothie won’t be as green, but it’ll still be delicious.
Green Smoothies with Spinach and Blueberries
- 2 cups fresh washed spinach leaves
- 1 medium banana
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen blueberries (sorted and rinsed)
- 1/3 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
- The juice of one medium orange
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 - 2 cups ice
- In a blender, puree the spinach, banana, blueberries, yogurt, orange and honey.
- Add the ice and puree until smooth.
- Pour into two glasses, plop in a straw, and enjoy.