Spaghetti squash is pretty much my favorite of all winter squashes, and cooking spaghetti squash couldn’t be easier – bonus!
Spaghetti squash is versatile, delicious, healthy, and easy – quadruple win. And today, I’m sharing how to cook spaghetti squash two different ways – either in the microwave, or in the oven.
I’m a fan of both methods, but for different reasons.
The main benefit of cooking spaghetti squash in the microwave is, of course, the fact that it’s done in 12 minutes – easy peasy, super quick. And then it’s ready for just about any preparation you’ve dreamed up.
Baking spaghetti squash in the oven takes longer, but the flavors of the squash develop a bit more than when cooked in the microwave. In the oven, the squash caramelizes a bit where it makes contact with the baking sheet (yum) and if you brush with olive oil and sprinkle it with a little salt and pepper before baking, it’s tough to resist just flipping that bad boy over as soon as you remove it from the oven, grabbing a fork, and digging in for dinner (double yum).
Either way you choose to cook it, spaghetti squash rocks, so bake some or nuke some today!
Here’s How to Prep & Cook Spaghetti Squash – Two Ways!
Prep the spaghetti squash
With a very sharp knife, lop off the top or bottom of the squash so that it will stand flat and secure on your cutting board.
Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds and guts.
And now, to bake your spaghetti squash in the oven … (scroll down for microwave directions)
Heat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
Brush the inside of each half with olive oil and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Place cut-sides down on a baking sheet.
Bake for about 40 minutes until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.
Let cool for about 15 minutes, or until squash is cool enough to handle. With a fork, scrape out the spaghetti-like strands and prepare as desired.
… Or to cook your spaghetti squash in the microwave …
Place squash cut-sides-down in a microwave-safe baking dish. Fill the dish with about 1 inch of water.
Microwave on high for about 12 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork. Cooking time depends on the size of the squash and individual microwaves, so if you have a smaller squash and a microwave that cooks fast, check a little earlier. And if you are cooking a larger squash and have a lower-power microwave, it may take a little longer.
Let cool for about 15 minutes, or until squash is cool enough to handle.
With a fork, scrape out the spaghetti-like strands and prepare as desired.
Here’s a quick video with the low-down, or scroll on down for the printable recipe!
More spaghetti squash goodness
From Kitchen Treaty:
- BBQ Pulled Spaghetti Squash Sandwiches
- Baked Spaghetti & Spaghetti Squash Casserole
- White Pizza Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- Chili Cheese Stuffed Spaghetti Squash
- My Meatless Spaghetti Squash recipes board on Pinterest
Around the web:
- 50 Ways to Cook Spaghetti Squash from Aggie’s Kitchen
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
How to Cook Spaghetti Squash Two Different Ways - in the Microwave or in the Oven
- 1 whole medium spaghetti squash
- 2 teaspoons olive oil (for baked version)
- Pinch kosher salt
- Sharp, heavy chef's knife
- Rimmed baking sheet (for cooking in the oven)
- Large microwave-safe baking dish (for the microwave method)
- With a very sharp knife, lop off the top or bottom of the squash so that it will stand flat and secure on your cutting board. Slice the squash in half lengthwise.
- Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds.
To Bake in the Oven:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Brush the inside of each half with about 1 teaspoon olive oil each and sprinkle with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper. (Note that nutrition information is for spaghetti squash only and NOT for additional ingredients.)
- Place cut sides down on a rimmed baking sheet and put sheet into the oven.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, or until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork.
To Cook in the Microwave:
- Let cool for about 15 minutes, or until squash is cool enough to handle.
- With a fork, scrape out the spaghetti-like strands and prepare as desired.