I’m not sure there’s anything more December-worthy than a good pepperminty chocolate splurge. But when dairy’s not on the menu, what’s a peppermint mocha lover to do? Enjoy this Vegan Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer, that’s what!
Ready to liven up your cuppa joe with some holiday cheer? Come along with me through the seven layers of the candy cane forest …
Sorry, went into Elf mode for a moment there. Let’s move along.
Initially, I envisioned this recipe as a cashew coffee creamer based concoction, using the blender. And that was fairly tasty.
But then I started thinking about how, perhaps, I should start with almost a homemade chocolate syrup situation and then go from there – the heat helps dissolve and distribute the cocoa powder. Adding lite coconut milk gave us, of course, us creamy bliss – and the Vegan Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer was so, so easy to make.
How to Make Vegan Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
Just mix a can of light coconut milk, some pure maple syrup (Grade A to avoid a heavy maple flavor), and good cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Flavor with extracts and helloooo, vegans and dairy-free folk! The holidays are for you too!
Here’s the exact list of ingredients:
- Canned light coconut milk – I go with lite coconut milk instead of full-fat because when it’s refrigerated, it stays liquid instead of the fats solidifying.
- Pure maple syrup – Grade A which adds a lovely rich sweetness but no maple-y flavor.
- Cocoa powder – Grab the best you can find.
- Pure vanilla extract and peppermint extract – For that holiday feeling.
- Pinch salt – Trust me.
Then, you just add everything except the extracts to a saucepan and simmer, then add extracts and additional sweetener if you like and you are there!
So festive. So delicious. So holiday-y.
Keep scrolling for the full, printable recipe!
Vegan Peppermint Mocha Coffee Creamer
- 1 can lite coconut milk (15-ounce can)
- 3 tablespoons Grade A pure maple syrup (plus more if desired; can substitute vegan granulated sugar)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (good quality)
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract (plus an additional 1/8 teaspoon to taste if you like it extra minty)
- Set a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the coconut milk, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, cocoa powder, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just about to start simmering, about 5 minutes (depending on your stove).
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. Taste and if you’d like it mintier, add an additional 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. If you would like your creamer sweeter, add another tablespoon (or five) of pure maple syrup until it’s just right for you.
- Let cool to room temperature then transfer to a sealed container. Keeps, refrigerated, for 4-5 days.
- To serve, add a generous amount to a cup of strong-brewed coffee. If you like, top with coconut whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and/or a candy cane.