Hello hello! Well, I didn’t plan to go quiet this month, but a lovely little virus had other plans for me. (If you want to know which schmaltzy holiday Hallmark or Lifetime or Netflix movies are the best, I’m your gal!) I do have a couple of recipes in the hopper, but nothing ready to go live yet, so I thought I’d re-share this favorite from a few Christmases back: Peppermint Mocha Vegan Coffee Creamer. I love to alternate between this decadent situation and vegan egg nog as creamer for festive coffee all season long.
The holidays can be a bit brutal for dairy-free folk. I admit I’ve been sneaking a bit in here and there – I’ve found I can tolerate small amounts of dairy, usually in baked goods. But I still have to completely avoid milk, half-and-half, yogurt, and cheese, though. (Oh cheese, I still miss you.)
It’s the time of year for dairy-laden everything, but coffee-wise, we’re talking deliciousness along the lines of eggnog lattes, peppermint mochas, and some sort of new and amazing-sounding spiced sweet cream cold brew from the ‘Bucks.
But here is where I don’t really feel like I’m missing out. Because I’ve been working on a dairy-free eggnog recipe for awhile now (update: I now have two vegan eggnog recipes! Chai-spiced and this simpler 6-ingredient version), and it’s divine splashed in coffee. And then when I really feel like a December-worthy pepperminty chocolate splurge, I splash a good amount of this Peppermint Mocha Vegan Coffee Creamer into my cuppa joe.
Initially, I envisioned this recipe as a cashew coffee creamer based concoction. And that was fairly tasty. But then I started thinking about how, perhaps, I should start with almost a homemade chocolate syrup situation and then go from there – the heat helps dissolve the cocoa powder.
Not wanting to put you guys through a bout of soaking and THEN heating (oh the humanity), I decided to opt for easier and switched from cashews to light coconut milk.
This Peppermint Mocha Vegan Coffee Creamer recipe is super easy to whip up. Just mix a can of light coconut milk, some pure maple syrup (Grade A to avoid a heavy maple flavor), and good cocoa powder in a small saucepan. Flavor with extracts and helloooo, vegans and dairy-free folk! The holidays are for you too!
Peppermint Mocha Vegan Coffee Creamer
- 1 15-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons - 1/4 cup Grade A pure maple syrup (can substitute 1/4 cup granulated sugar* + more to taste if desired)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (good quality)
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8-1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- Set a small saucepan over medium heat. Add the coconut milk, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, cocoa powder, and salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until just about to start simmering, about 5 minutes (depending on your stove).
- Remove from heat. Stir in vanilla extract and 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. Taste and if you'd like it mintier, add an additional 1/8 teaspoon peppermint extract. If you would like your creamer sweeter, add another tablespoon (or five) of pure maple syrup until it's just right for you.
- Let cool to room temperature then transfer to a sealed container. Keeps, refrigerated, for 4-5 days.
- To serve, add a generous amount to a cup of strong-brewed coffee. If you like, top with coconut whipped cream, a drizzle of chocolate syrup, and/or a candy cane.
Originally posted Dec. 3, 2016. Republished Dec. 17, 2019.