I’ve rediscovered something lately. Something obvious, but forgotten. Cozy, warm, and actually sort of essential. Especially when you have cold wood floors and naturally icy feet.
Slippers. I totally forgot about slippers! Now fuzzy socks, that’s another matter. I have probably 15 pairs stuffed in my sock drawer. Last year, my feet got so cold as I shuffled around that I would double up on them. Quite attractive. And then I was like, oh yeah. Slippers exist! So I bought two pairs – thick bottoms, cute colors, plush interiors – and every morning when I wake up, every time I get home, every evening as I curl up to work, they’re my happiness. How could I have forgotten about slippers?!
These Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pumpkin Lattes are sort of like slippers for the belly. Except they’re not fuzzy, because that would be gross and feel weird going down. And I have never forgotten about their existence, primarily because I just came up with the recipe a few days ago.
But they’re definitely warm! And they make you feel cozy! So there is that.
They heat up quickly (at least, as far as heating in Crock Pots goes) and they keep your drink warm until you’re ready to sip. They feel special, but they’re low maintenance – perfect for holiday get-togethers.
I am as obsessed with pumpkin as I am with slippers right now, so it wasn’t a stretch for me to want to create a pumpkin-based coffee drink for the Crock Pot.
I’ve already gone to pumpkin spice land coffee-wise this year, so I thought I’d twist it up a little bit. Span the bridge between now and Christmas. Grab some pumpkin and spices, but trash it up with a little gingerbread flavor, too. Because gingerbread lattes are kind of one of the best things ever come December.
Gosh, there’s lots to love this time of year.
Slow Cooker Gingerbread Pumpkin Lattes
- 6 cups 1 1/2 quarts 2% or whole cow's milk or almond milk*
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso granules
- 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (can also use 1/4 cup packed brown sugar + more to taste)
- 1 teaspoon molasses (optional)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 5- inch cinnamon stick
- Pinch cloves
- Lightly whipped cream or coconut whipped cream (additional ground nutmeg, and additional cinnamon sticks, if desired)
- Add all ingredients to a 2-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir to combine.
- Cook on low for 2-3 hours or until heated through. Make sure it doesn't boil! Turn slow cooker to warm setting to keep latte warm for 2 - 3 hours. You can use low to keep it warm if your slow cooker doesn't have a warm setting, but keep an eye on it. Stir occasionally to make sure it doesn't scald. For faster lattes, you can start on the high setting then switch to low, but I wouldn't cook these on high for more than one hour.
- Stir again right before serving and taste. Add additional sugar or syrup if desired. Ladle into individual mugs. Top with whipped cream, a dusting of nutmeg, and a cinnamon stick, if desired. Serve.
(I totally drank this in my slippers.)