Why is it that Christmas trees always look way, WAY bigger once you get them in your house? More than ever before, our eyes were bigger than our living room this year. We ended up with a giant of a tree I still gape at it whenever I pass by.
This year is the first year we’ve had to use an actual ladder to dress our tree, just like in the movies, teetering dangerously on the top step – you know, the one you’re not supposed to use – risking life and limb. Literally life and limb, because I nearly took down both myself and the tree. BUT we made it happen. And now we’ve got a mammoth tree lording over our living room, with one bottom branch so heavy with toddler-hung ornaments that it’s touching the ground.
And all is right with the world.
Christmas is indeed the most wonderful time of the year, and one of the reasons is the excuse to brew up fancy “lattes” and pile copious amounts of whipped cream on top.
These Slow Cooker Peppermint Vanilla Lattes are just plain necessary on Christmas morning. Plus, once you pour all of the ingredients in, they’re fuss-free. The Crock Pot keeps the coffee nice and warm so refills are quick and easy – and you can get back to what matters.
Slow Cooker Peppermint Vanilla Lattes
- 4 cups milk (I use 2%)
- 2 cups very strong brewed coffee
- You can sub 6 cups milk + 3-4 tablespoons instant espresso powder for the above
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar or pure maple syrup (vanilla sugar is also an excellent choice if you have any + more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon peppermint extract (to taste)
- Whipped cream (crushed candy canes, and peppermint sticks for topping (all optional))
- In a 2-quart or 3-quart Crock Pot, stir together the milk, coffee, sugar, vanilla, and mint. Cover and cook on low for 2 hours, or until steamy-hot. Don't let it boil! Flip switch to warm or watch closely once it's hot. Taste and add additional sugar and/or mint as you wish.
- Ladle into glasses and top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes. Add a peppermint stick and you're good to go!