When it comes to vegan Super Bowl snacks, options can be a little scarce. But no more! If you’re eating plant-based, this Vegan 7-Layer Bean Dip is all you need this Super Bowl Sunday. Or any day. For the rest of your life.
Okay, not really.
Traditional 7-Layer Dip, the Mexican-inspired fiesta-in-a-bowl, is a wildly popular appetizer – and with good reason. It starts off with spiced refried beans, topped with sour cream, guacamole, salsa, cheese, olives, and a smattering of veggies.
Cue record scratch for vegans and even vegetarians. Sour cream and cheese is a no-go for plant-based folk, and even the refried beans can be a problem if they have lard in them.
Soooo I set out to make a 7-Layer Dip that was just as delicious – and almost as easy – as the original.
A lot of Vegan 7-Layer Dip recipes have vegan queso in the list of ingredients, and I’m sure they are absolutely delicious. But I’ve found time that for me, a nice savory cashew cream gives a dish almost everything I was getting from cheese. So I had a hunch that this dip would be absolutely delicious without adding a cheesy situation (and I really think it is).
So here’s the scoop for this Vegan 7-Layer Bean Dip:
- Layer 1: Vegetarian refried beans + taco seasoning, all whipped up into spicy perfection
- Layer 2: Cashew sour cream. Tangy, creamy, the perfect counterpoint to the aforementioned spiciness
- Layer 3: Salsa, baby. Salsa.
- Layer 4: Guacamole – more than what most 7-Layer Dip recipes call for. Because avocado.
- Layer 5: Chopped yellow bell pepper. This basically stands in for the yellow color the cheddar cheese was providing to help keep it pretty, but it also adds a delightfully cool crunch to the whole situation.
- Layer 6: Sliced black olives.
- Layer 7: Halved cherry tomatoes and sliced scallions.
Okay so we’re kind of looking at eight layers if we go ingredient-by-ingredients but I PROMISE your mouth won’t care.
Vegan 7-Layer Bean Dip
- 1 15-ounce can vegetarian refried beans
- 1 1-ounce packet taco seasoning mix
- 1 cup vegan cashew sour cream*
- 1 cup chunky salsa (mild, medium, or spicy - your choice, excess liquid drained)
- 2 cups guacamole (store-bought or homemade)
- 3/4 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 2.25 oz. can sliced olives, drained
- 3-4 green onions (sliced (about 1/3 cup))
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Pie plate or shallow glass serving bowl (around 10 inches in diameter is ideal)
- Offset spatula for easy spreading
- In a medium bowl, mix together the refried beans and taco seasoning. Spread evenly in serving dish.
- Top with sour cream and spread evenly.
- Top with salsa and spread the best you can.
- Add guacamole. Same thing - spread right to the edges.
- Arrange bell pepper, cherry tomatoes, olives, and green onions over the top. I like to keep them around the perimeter because I think it looks pretty that way!
- Serve immediately with loads of tortilla chips, or cover and chill for up to 8 hours before serving. (If you're making ahead of time, be sure to place a layer of plastic directly over the guacamole to prevent browning.)
It’s more than Yummm… Actually its really hard to find better options in a Vegan diet. But I found in bundles here. Love it.