I’m an amalgamation of about a gazillion different heritages – Norwegian, German … tarheel … I don’t even really know. So every time I post something culturally specific, I feel like a bit of a phony. So I’ll just start off by saying this is, no doubt, quite far from actual real authentic Irish coffee. I suppose the “vegan” in the title could also have tipped you off to that. And the Scotch whiskey instead of Irish whiskey could possibly be downright criminal. I don’t even know. Disclaimer, disclaimer, disclaimer.
What can I claim to know, without a doubt? This dairy-free Irish coffee recipe is super, duper, awesomely tasty.
Irish coffee (to the best of my knowledge!) is a simple drink made with hot coffee, whiskey, and a little bit of sugar if you wish. Then. Then! The best part: a big awesome layer of sweetened whipped cream floating on the top. You sip your spiked coffee through the cream, acquiring a bit with each drink of coffee.
Good stuff. Warming stuff. Comforting stuff. Delicious stuff.
This dairy-free version simply substitutes the dairy-based whipped cream with coconut whipped cream, which really is a perfect topper for Irish coffee. It floats on top like a dream – and, bonus, coconut + coffee already go together like whoa (coconut milk is, incidentally, one of my favorite alternate coffee creamers).
So, is this authentic? Probably not. But is it awesome? Well, I think so!
Dairy-Free Vegan Irish Coffee
For the coconut whipped cream:
- 1 14-ounce can full-fat coconut milk, chilled at least 12 hours
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
For the Vegan Irish Coffee:
- 1 cup strong brewed coffee
- 1/8 cup 2 tablespoons whiskey (Suggestions: Use Irish whiskey such as Jameson for a more authentic version - I used Johnnie Walker scotch whiskey and it's good too.)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup coconut whipped cream
Make the coconut whipped cream
- Spoon the white, solid layer off of the top of the can of coconut milk and place it in the bowl of a stand mixer affixed with the whisk attachment or in a medium bowl so you can use a hand mixer. Beat at medium speed until it forms stiff peaks, 2-3 minutes. Add syrup, vanilla, and pinch salt.
Assemble the Vegan Irish Coffee
- Pour the coffee, whiskey, and sugar, if using, into a mug or heatproof glass. Stir to combine (if adding sugar, take care to stir until dissolved). Spoon coconut whipped cream over the top. Serve.