Chocolate Mint Brownies
For as long as I can remember, I’ve done something a little weird on Saint Patrick’s Day. Even though I love green, I enjoy only wearing a tiny little scrap of the stuff – well hidden – on the big day. See, where I grew up, you get a pinch if you’re not wearing green. Okay, so that’s the same for everyone. But here’s the twist – the beauty of the hidden green. After receiving that dastardly pinch, you smugly reveal your stealth green, thus earning you the right to sock the offending pincher square in the shoulder.
The fact that I revel in this blatant free pass for violence probably says a little something disturbing about me. But let’s move on, shall we? Because I don’t really want to know what it means.
Here’s a good distraction: mint chocolate brownies. Rich, decadent chocolate brownies topped with a nice, thick, minty layer of sweet icing unabashedly spiked with green food coloring, and then sprinkled with mini chocolate chips. Chocolate on mint on chocolate.
Mmmm. Pinch me.
But then you’d better run.
Chocolate Mint Brownies
Rich, decadent chocolate brownies topped with a nice, thick, minty layer of sweet icing unabashedly spiked with green food coloring, and then sprinkled with mini chocolate chips. Chocolate on mint on chocolate.
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, broken into pieces (I like using a Ghiradelli 60% bittersweet baking chocolate bar for this recipe)
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon mint extract
- Pinch salt
- Green food coloring
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Line an 8" x 8" pan with piece of foil long enough to extend over the ends of the pan, and grease the foil and the rest of the pan. The foil will act as little "handles" to lift the brownies out when they're done.
- In a large microwaveable bowl, add the chocolate and the butter.
- Microwave for about a minute, removing and stirring to judge how much the chocolate has melted, then microwave in 15-second increments after that. It usually takes me about a minute and a half to completely melt the chocolate.
- Stir in the sugar, eggs, and vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, then mix well.
- Spread the batter into the pan.
- Bake for 30 – 35 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool.
- Make the icing! With a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment or with a hand mixer, mix the butter until pale and fluffy, then slowly add the powdered sugar at low speed. Once the powdered sugar is incorporated, increase the speed to medium until well blended.
- Add the milk, mint extract, salt and food coloring. Mix well.
- Frost the brownies with the icing, then sprinkle with the mini chocolate chips.
- Remove the brownies from the pan with the foil “handles.”
- Cut into 16 squares.
- You can store these in an airtight container at room temperature, but they also do well in the refrigerator.