Yes, I have a calendar. Yes, I know I missed the boat on this one. Yes, I totally realized I should have posted this Crock Pot mashed potato recipe before Thanksgiving. Grr.
Buuuut I didn’t. And I don’t want to wait another year to share. Besides, mashed potatoes are delicious any time of year, right? Especially super garlicky, buttery, creamy, and ridiculously easy ones. Right?!
These mashed potatoes take, oh, about 5 minutes of hands-on time. Wash your potatoes. Put them in the Crock Pot with whole peeled garlic cloves, a little broth, some butter.
Turn on the Crock Pot.
Come back a few hours later, and mash.
Add a little half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Mash a little more.
Aaaand, that’s it! Seriously!
I love, love, love this recipe. I mean, I always love Crock Pot recipes, but this one kind of takes the cake. No peeling potatoes over the sink. No pots of water boiling over. No mincing garlic, even! Just throw, cook, mash.
Truthfully, they’re not going to be the fluffiest mashed potatoes you’ve ever eaten – they’re just not that type of mashed potato. But what they lack in smooth, silky puffiness, they more than make up for in incredible, mellow slow-roasted garlic flavor.
Try this for the holiday, or any day. Or, okay fine, just go ahead and bookmark for next November. It’s all good.
- ⅛ pound garlic, about 10 cloves, separated from the bulb and peeled
- 2 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed clean and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter + more for serving as desired
- ½ teaspoon salt + additional salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ cup water or vegetable broth
- ¼ cup half-and-half plus more as desired
- Two-quart or larger Crock Pot
- Place garlic in the Crock Pot, then add potatoes. Top with butter, sprinkle on the salt, and add the water or vegetable broth.
- Cook on high 3 – 4 hours or low 8 hours. Potatoes and garlic should be very tender.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes a bit and then pour in ¼ cup half-and-half. Continue mashing, adding additional half-and-half until potatoes are desired consistency. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve topped with additional butter if desired.