Cinnamon & Sugar Mini Muffins
Mini things are, just by their diminutive nature, super duper cute. Miniature horses. The teensy windmills in mini golf courses. Puppies. Oh my God, puppies. So cute.
And, muffins. Mini muffins!
I know, I know, mini muffins enjoyed their time in the sun a few years back. They used to be everywhere, but today they’re overshadowed by things like gourmet doughnuts, full-on cupcakes, and salted caramels. By the way, I gorged myself on a combo of two of those yesterday – a salted caramel old-fashioned doughnut from Frost Doughnuts. Holy moly. I’m not sure I’ve tasted anything better. I mean, these Cinnamon Mini Muffins are really good, don’t get me wrong. But I’m the first to admit they’ve got nothing on one of those salted caramel old-fashioned doughnuts.
I’m really convincing you to try this recipe, aren’t I?
Really, these are good. They’re exceedingly simple to make, and you probably have all the ingredients already on hand. Dusted with cinnamon and sugar before they go into the oven, they come out tender and tasty with a sugary top, perfect finished off with a sliver of butter.
And, of course, they’re cute. Cuter, even, than that blasted doughnut.
Cinnamon & Sugar Mini Muffins
These simple, delicious mini muffins are diminutive in size but not in taste.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease or line your mini muffin pans..
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Melt the butter (I nuke it in a microwave-safe bowl for about 30 seconds on medium heat).
- In a separate medium bowl, beat together the eggs, brown sugar, milk, melted butter, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients over the flour mixture, and mix just until incorporated; do not overmix.
- Scoop the batter by tablespoonful into the mini muffin cups (or, if you're making normal-size muffins, divide the batter between 12 cups).
- In a small bowl, mix together the 1/4 cup sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon.
- Sprinkle the top of each muffin with a bit of the cinnamon mix, dividing the topping evenly among the muffins.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes, until muffin tops spring back when you lightly poke the top (or stick a toothpick in and it comes out clean). If you're making standard-size muffins, increase the baking time to about 12 - 15 minutes.
- Let cool for five minutes and serve.
Originally posted on The Hazel Bloom June 21, 2010. Updated and posted on Kitchen Treaty January 13, 2013. More about this
Adapted from Joy of Cooking* (Basic Muffins with Milk or Cream) *Affiliate Link// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
This post may contain affiliate links, which means if you click on a link and make a purchase, I may receive a portion of the proceeds. More about this here.