Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes Recipe
These Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes are one of my more popular recipes every year when fall rolls around. They cook up bubbly and super tall, no separate egg-white-whipping necessary. Easy peasy, pumpkin squeezey. Or, you know … something like that.
If you need a dairy-free pumpkin pancake recipe, you’ve come to the right place – options listed in recipe. Prefer a full-on vegan version? Head this way for that recipe. And happy weekending!
I just never know when a recipe is going to take off. It’s all one big fat guessing game. I had a feeling people would like this and it would do well (and so far, it has!). On the other hand, I was convinced these would do well, but nope.
And then there are the recipes that are a huge surprise. Fluffy Banana Pancakes are consistently one of the most-visited and most-made recipes on my site. I knew I loved them, but I didn’t realize they would be so popular. And, of course, I am happy they are!
As far as pancakes go, there’s a special place in breakfast heaven for the fluffy, hearty, thick kind. I decided I needed another fluffy pancake recipe in my life, so I thought I’d take the banana version and get ’em all fallified. (As in, seasonally appropriate for autumn. I like to make up words. It’s a curse.)
I set out to create a pumpkin pancake recipe that’s full of those favorite fall flavors – pumpkin and pumpkin spices – yet tall and fluffy too. But no whipping egg whites, please, because who wants to do that at 7 a.m.?! Not me.
For this recipe for pumpkin pancakes, it’s all about the fluffy! I took the original recipe and swapped the banana for pumpkin, added a hefty dose of warming pumpkin spices, and increased the sugar – just a bit – to keep them from going over to savoryville. More made-up words. Sorry.
These pumpkin spice pancakes cook up surprisingly tall, but they’re not crazy or anything. They’re just right – perfectly fluffy for fall.
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Super-fluffy, tall, yet moist pumpkin pancakes. Yes, you can have it all in a pumpkin pancake recipe!
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough whole milk, 2% milk, or unsweetened almond milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (here’s a handy dandy tutorial on making your own)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly + more for cooking, if desired (can sub vegan butter or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice blend*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or table salt
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a large bowl, add the buttermilk. If using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Let batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick griddle to 325 degrees or set large frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter on the cooking surface, spreading it evenly, if desired (if the surface is non-stick, you may not need to do this). Using a 1/3 cup measure (or, my pancake scooping weapon of choice, a trigger-handled ice cream scoop), pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and completely cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
* Or you can substitute the following if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice blend on hand:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Substitute unsweetened almond milk for the milk. Substitute vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter.
Yield: About 12 5-inch pancakes, Serving Size: 3 (5-inch) pancakes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 526 Calories
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Sodium: 627mg
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 26g
- Protein: 15g
Adapted from my Fluffy Banana Pancakes recipe// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
First published September 22, 2014. Republished October 5, 2019.