Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
These Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes are one of my more popular recipes every year when fall rolls around. They cook up bubbly and super tall, no separate egg-white-whipping necessary. Easy peasy, pumpkin squeezey. Or, you know … something like that.
If you need a dairy-free pumpkin pancake, you’ve come to the right place – options listed in recipe. Prefer a full-on vegan version? Head this way for that recipe. And happy weekending!
I just never know when a recipe is going to take off. It’s all one big fat guessing game. I had a feeling people would like this and it would do well (and so far, it has!). On the other hand, I was convinced these would do well, but nope.
And then there are the recipes that are a huge surprise. Fluffy Banana Pancakes are consistently one of the most-visited and most-made recipes on my site. I knew I loved them, but I didn’t realize they would be so popular. And, of course, I am happy they are!
As far as pancakes go, there’s a special place in breakfast heaven for the fluffy, hearty, thick kind. I decided I needed another fluffy pancake recipe in my life, so I thought I’d take the banana version and get ’em all fallified. (As in, seasonally appropriate for autumn. I like to make up words. It’s a curse.)
I set out to create a pumpkin pancake recipe that’s full of those favorite fall flavors – pumpkin and pumpkin spices – yet tall and fluffy too. But no whipping egg whites, please, because who wants to do that at 7 a.m.?! Not me.
For this recipe for pumpkin pancakes, it’s all about the fluffy! I took the original recipe and swapped the banana for pumpkin, added a hefty dose of warming pumpkin spices, and increased the sugar – just a bit – to keep them from going over to savoryville. More made-up words. Sorry.
These pumpkin spice pancakes cook up surprisingly tall, but they’re not crazy or anything. They’re just right – perfectly fluffy for fall.
Fluffy Pumpkin Pancakes
Super-fluffy, tall, yet moist pumpkin pancakes. Yes, you can have it all in a pumpkin pancake!
- 2 cups buttermilk (or 2 tablespoons vinegar + enough whole milk, 2% milk, or unsweetened almond milk to equal 2 cups)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree (here’s a handy dandy tutorial on making your own)
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled slightly + more for cooking, if desired (can sub vegan butter or coconut oil)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice blend*
- 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt or table salt
- Butter and maple syrup for serving
- To a large bowl, add the buttermilk. If using the vinegar plus milk option, let sit for about 10 minutes to allow the milk to turn to buttermilk.
- Add the pumpkin, eggs, butter, and vanilla and stir with a whisk to combine.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.
- Pour the dry ingredients over the wet and mix just until incorporated. Do not overmix.
- Let batter rest for about 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick griddle to 325 degrees or set large frying pan over medium heat. Melt a little butter on the cooking surface, spreading it evenly, if desired (if the surface is non-stick, you may not need to do this). Using a 1/3 cup measure (or, my pancake scooping weapon of choice, a trigger-handled ice cream scoop), pour the batter onto the griddle or into the frying pan. The pancakes are ready to flip when they look a little dry around the edges and start to form little bubbles, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip and cook on the other side until golden brown and completely cooked through, 1 to 2 more minutes.
- Serve topped with butter and maple syrup, if desired.
* Or you can substitute the following if you don’t have pumpkin pie spice blend on hand:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
Substitute unsweetened almond milk for the milk. Substitute vegan butter or coconut oil for the butter.
Yield: About 12 5-inch pancakes, Serving Size: 3 (5-inch) pancakes
- Amount Per Serving:
- Calories: 526 Calories
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 9g
- Cholesterol: 131mg
- Sodium: 627mg
- Carbohydrates: 82g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sugar: 26g
- Protein: 15g
Adapted from my Fluffy Banana Pancakes recipe// All images and text © for Kitchen Treaty.
First published September 22, 2014. Republished October 5, 2019.