I’ve always had a bit of a problem with buying pumpkin pie spice. Why should I spend the extra money when I already have the spices in my pantry?! After all, there’s no need to buy another new bottle of spices when I can easily make my very own substitute for pumpkin pie spice right at home – right?!
But wait – let’s back up a sec.
What is pumpkin pie spice?
Pumpkin spice lattes? They’re so not about the pumpkin, my friends. They’re about the spice.
I suppose more abstract definition of pumpkin pie spice would be “fall in a bottle.” See also: “Pure autumn magic.”
What spices are in pumpkin pie spice?
I use just four ingredients for homemade pumpkin pie spice:
- Ground cinnamon
- Ground ginger
- Ground nutmeg
- Ground cloves
That’s it! Okay, I might also add a smidge of allspice if I’m feeling it. Others might throw in a bit of mace or cardamom.
It’s so easy to throw together, and, yeah – definitely convenient for when you’re making all those wonderful fall-ish pumpkin recipes.
Oh, and if you’re feeling especially DIY-ish today, how about making your own homemade pumpkin puree while you’re at it? Also totally worth it!
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/4 cup ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice (optional*)
- In a small bowl, mix all spices together.
- Pour into an airtight container (a spice funnel or even a regular funnel helps keep the mess in check).
- Use anytime a recipe calls for pumpkin pie spice mix - or even in most pumpkin recipes that call for similar spices.
NEED LESS PUMPKIN PIE SPICE?Because of the smaller quantities, these aren’t perfect ratios when compared to the original recipe – but they’re close (and will still taste great!)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/8 heaping teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 scant teaspoon cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 heaping teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves