Melty and gooey, it oozes shamelessly from these pizza quesadillas, a.k.a. my new favorite quick and easy meal.
I’m thinking pizza quesadillas are pretty self-explanatory … you take a tortilla, smear a little pizza sauce on it, and stuff it with cheese – four different kinds, to be exact. Then you cook it up and dive in to the melty goodness.
We use our panini press for quesadillas. Not only is it a super easy and fast way to do it, but the panini method also makes for healthier quesadillas (ha, ha … I know … like that matters with all this cheese).
Add pepperoni for the meat-eaters, if they like, and serve along with a good amount of extra pizza sauce for dipping.
Kid-friendly, mixed-diet-friendly, waistline-fr …. oh. Oh well. Two out of three isn’t bad. And sometimes (like this time), a food is well-worth the uber-cheesy splurge.
Four-Cheese Pizza Quesadillas with Optional Pepperoni
- 2 8- inch flour tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded fontina cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese (or about half of a one-ounce slice)
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup pizza sauce plus additional sauce for dipping
- Optional pepperoni
- 1/4 cup sliced pepperoni per quesadilla
- Lay a tortilla flat, and on the bottom half only, spread 2 tablespoons pizza sauce. Sprinkle half the mozzarella, fontina, provolone, and Parmesan cheeses. Repeat with second tortilla. Evenly lay the pepperoni over the cheese, if using.
- Carefully fold the top half over to create a half-moon shape.
- Place the in a pre-heated panini press and cook until cheese is melted and outside is golden-crisp. Alternately, cook in a saute pan drizzled with vegetable oil or canola oil over medium-high heat, carefully flipping occasionally, until the cheese is melted and both sides are golden-brown.
- Cut into wedges and serve with additional pizza sauce for dipping.