Alright friends, put down the dairy and the eggs. Because you don’t need either one to make this thick, rich, decadent tapioca pudding.
All you need? Almond milk, coconut milk, vanilla, honey, and – of course – some tapioca pearls.
Oh, and some fresh fruit if you like, because this coconut tapioca pudding topped with fruit = all the yes. Plus, with red fruit, that makes it pretty for Valentine’s Day. Or any day, I suppose.
For this coconut milk tapioca recipe, I started with the recipe right on the back of the Bob’s Red Mill package. Instead of soaking the tapioca in water, I soaked it in almond milk. Then, I cooked it with honey (but maple syrup is also delicious), vanilla, and coconut milk. I thought, how could that not turn out delicious? And I was right. Whew!
The egg was not needed at all because the whole shebang thickens up lusciously without it. I mean, hello, tapioca! It’s a natural thickener, right?!
This dairy-free tapioca pudding tastes just like I remember as a kid. Tapioca was one of my favorite desserts back then, and with this recipe, it’s moved back up the ranks.
Rich & Creamy Coconut Milk Tapioca Pudding
- 1/3 cup small pearl tapioca (I use this brand)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 15-ounce can lite coconut milk
- 2-3 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup*
- 1/8 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste or pure vanilla extract*
- Diced strawberries (pomegranate arils, and an extra drizzle of honey for serving (optional) (or whatever fruit you like, really!))
- Add pearl tapioca to a medium saucepan. Add almond milk. Let soak, off burner, for 30 minutes.
- Add coconut milk, 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey, salt, and vanilla if using paste (if using extract, add after cooking).
- Place pan over medium heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened. Stir in vanilla extract if using. Taste and add additional honey if you desire a sweeter tapioca.
- Pour into heat-proof individual containers. Transfer to refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve topped with fresh fruit and an extra drizzle of honey, if desired.
have you tried making this Vegan without honey? using agave maybe?
Absolutely delicious! I went dairy and refined sugar free years ago and have been missing tapioca. Thank you ❤️
Yay! So glad you liked it. 🙂
I made this with the (Silk unsweetened Almond and Coconut milk with vanilla) and the can of coconut milk and it was divine “Truly out of this world good” was my sweetie’s response.
I bought some coconut pudding at a health food store and liked it so much I found your recipe online. I followed the recipe but mine came out gummy. I let it sit in fridge to cool overnight and it’s one clump, not like pudding. Kind of like a gelatin block. Anyway it still tastes good but next time I will need to add more liquid I guess. Will let you know hot batch 2 comes out 🙂