I’m not sure what it is about almond butter, but it tastes kind of like cookie dough to me – especially homemade almond butter. Is it just me? Am I crazy? I think I know the answer to that, and I’m not sure I like it.
So I took my craziness, and I made it into a smoothie. As fall approached, I was craving a protein-rich smoothie with warm spices and filling ingredients. I love oats in smoothies, so it wasn’t long before I was determined to create a smoothie that tasted just like an oatmeal cookie. And when I think cookie, I think almond butter! Or something like that.
Yeah. Definitely crazy.
But for that it’s worth, this vegan Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie? It’s crazy good. Like, seriously, one of my best smoothies ever. I like it so much it makes me talk like, like a valley girl. Tubular!
Okay, so here’s what we’ve got. Oats, soaked for just a few minutes in almond milk to soften ’em up (oats can taste chalky in smoothies, and that extra step can help). Banana for sweetness and creaminess. A date to add some extra caramelly sweet goodness because the smoothie is based on a cookie, after all. Cozy cinnamon and vanilla. And, of course, a scoop of almond butter.
I love this Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie for breakfast, but they’re equally delicious as an afternoon pick-me-up or just when I’m craving something sweet. Perfect after-school snack too. Maybe by the time our picky daughter is in school full-time, she’ll finally realize that smoothies are fan-freaking-tastic. But until then, I guess I’ll have to enjoy them for her.
Because I’m not only crazy sometimes, I’m selfless too.
Oatmeal Cookie Smoothie
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk or plain unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 medium banana
- 1 heaping tablespoon almond butter
- 1 medjool date (pit removed (can substitute 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup))
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Place rolled oats and almond milk in the pitcher of a blender. Let soak for 10 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and puree until smooth. Pour into a glass and enjoy!