The first time I made this high-protein vegan breakfast bowl recipe, I ate at 7 a.m., and I wasn’t hungry again until 2.
I knew I’d made a rib-sticking, high-protein vegan breakfast, and keeping fuller longer was kind of the idea. But I was still blown away by just how satiating these Plant Protein Power Breakfast Bowls are.
Oh, and they’re pretty tasty too.
So what do we have here? Scrambled tofu – check. Black beans – check. Even a few pumpkin seeds for a couple more grams of protein – check check!
1/3 of this recipe provides a whopping 21 grams of protein and about 12 grams of fiber. That’s a lot of stay-full power!
First, you scramble up the tofu with a few spices for flavor, then you heat the black beans. Top with some creamy avocado slices, juicy cherry tomatoes, a sprinkle of pepitas, and your favorite salsa. Best. Breakfast. Ever.
Though I didn’t photograph them this way, a squeeze of lime and a pinch of smoked paprika are fine additions too.
Oh, and meal-prep-wise, this one is killer. Scramble up the tofu and the beans then place together in individual containers. When it’s time to eat, just heat it up, add your toppers, and you’re full for hours.
Plant Protein Power Breakfast Bowls activate!
If you try this recipe, please leave a rating! And, if you find it share-worthy – which I hope you do – please share. Tag #kitchentreaty on Instagram, Facebook, or Pinterest, and don’t forget to check out my other recipes!
Plant Protein Power Vegan Breakfast Bowls
For the scrambled tofu:
- 1 (14-ounce) block extra-firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium clove garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
For the black beans:
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained (or 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (optional)
- 1 medium avocado (halved and sliced)
- 3/4 cup cherry tomatoes (sliced)
- Pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Your favorite salsa
- Sliced scallions
- Lime wedge for squeezing over the top
- Pinch smoked paprika
- Have two or three serving bowls out and ready to fill.
- Make the scrambled tofu. Drain the tofu and set it on a large cutting board. Mash with a potato masher. Set a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, add 2 teaspoons olive oil. Add garlic, oregano, cumin, turmeric, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant - about 1 minute. Add tofu and stir well to incorporate spices and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 5 minutes. Divide scrambled tofu between bowls.
- Heat the beans. Return skillet to burner. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil. Add beans, chili powder, and cumin. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes. Taste and add salt if desired. Transfer to bowls.
- Finish assembling bowls. Add cherry tomatoes and avocado slices. (I like to add a pinch of kosher salt to each). Top with assorted toppings and serve.