Summer’s here! I can’t believe it. This year is flying by.
There’s a joke here in the Pacific Northwest that summer doesn’t start until after the Fourth of July. Usually that’s true, weather wise, but this year we’ve had some surprisingly sunny days in May and June.
I’ll take it.
Today I’m sharing one of my favorite parts of summer and the Fourth of July: Food in red, white, and blue. I mean, it’s important to eat patriotically, am I right?
It’s our civic duty.
Here, we’ve got a super simple red, white, and blue situation. It hardly warrants a recipe, but sometimes the simplest ideas resonate the most, so here we are.
We’ve got strawberries, blueberries, vanilla yogurt (vegan if you prefer), and granola.
And then a few star-shaped strawberries for topping, because America!
I love that this Red, White, and Blue Patriotic Parfait makes for a super easy, fruit-packed, satisfying breakfast. I’m actually thinking I’m going to want to do this patriotic thing all year long.
Red, White, & Blue Patriotic Parfaits
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries (about 6 medium strawberries)
- 1/3 cup fresh bluberries
- 1 5-ounce container vanilla yogurt (or vegan yogurt)
- 1/3 cup of your favorite granola
- The sides of a large strawberries sliced off and cut with a tiny star-shaped cookie cutter
- 4-5 extra blueberries
- 1 12-ounce glass or mason jar (I love these quilted mason jars for parfaits [affiliate link])
- Add half the granola to your cup or jar, then half the strawberries and blueberries. Spoon half the yogurt over the top. Layer again with granola, then berries, then remaining yogurt. Top with star-shaped strawberries and blueberries if desired. Serve with a long spoon.