I never was a fan of beets. Scratch that … I hated them. Actually, loathed. Tasted like dirt, I always said.
But then I discovered roasted beets. Something about roasting them does away with that dirt taste. Instead it brings out that sweet, slightly mineral, and altogether unique flavor that all you beet lovers out there were talking about. I get it now … well, a little. I don’t think I’m going to jump right into borscht or boiled beets quite yet, but who knows. Maybe roasted beets are a gateway.
Meanwhile, this salad. Oh my. This salad. Well first, of course, it’s gorgeous. You’ve got those deep, dark, ruby roasted beets soaked in honey-dijon oregano vinaigrette, scattered over a medley of crisp spring greens. Top that with a coin of creamy, tangy goat cheese, sprinkle with icy red onions, and suddenly you’ve achieved salad nirvana.
Who knew beets could lead to salad nirvana?!
Roasted Beet, Red Onion, & Goat Cheese Salad with Honey-Oregano Vinaigrette
- 1 pound beets (ends trimmed)
- 1/4 red onion (very thinly sliced)
- 8 cups spring greens and/or baby spinach (I like a mixture of romaine and oak leaf lettuces along with baby spinach)
- 4 ounces goat cheese (sliced into four coins)
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Scrub the beets with a vegetable brush and wrap each one in foil. Place on a cookie sheet to catch the juices and roast in the oven for about 50 minutes until tender.
- Unwrap the beets and place them in a medium bowl. Cut into 1-inch pieces right in the bowl, touching the beets minimally as they'll stain your fingers and everything else (which is why it's easiest to cut them right in the bowl instead of on a cutting board).
- Whisk together the honey, Dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and chopped fresh oregano. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour half the vinaigrette over the beets and gently toss. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour and up to 24 hours.
- Swish red onion in a bowl of cold water and rinse to remove any bitterness. Add more water and a few cubes of ice. Refrigerate for an hour or so.
- Toss greens in remaining vinaigrette and divide between four separate places. Top with beets and add a coin of goat cheese. Sprinkle with red onion and top with a sprinkling of fresh ground pepper and a few extra bits of fresh oregano, if you have it.
I used to really hate beetroot too, but suddenly in the last year my tastebuds have changed a bit, and I’m even considering making beetroot soup! This looks really tasty. Beetroot and goats’ cheese are perfect together.
Nice to know I’m not the only one who’s coming around to beets! Maybe it’s the *beets* that have changed… 😉
This looks really good and since I have beets, red onion and oregano in my garden it’s something I must try.