I grow mint in my garden for pretty much one reason and one reason only.
Nothing beats an icy-cold, minty mojito on a hot summer day. This version brings another summer staple – juicy ruby-red bing cherries – into the scene. The result is a gorgeous scarlet cocktail of cherry, lime, and mint … how can you go wrong?
The best thing about mojitos are the little bites of refreshing mint you get through the straw now and then. This one gives you a bit of cherry here and there too. Perhaps bad for the teeth (might want to have your pocket mirror handy) … but good, oh so good, for the soul.
Bing Cherry Mojitos
- 1 lime (cut in half)
- 12 mint leaves
- 6 bing cherries (stems removed and pitted)
- 1/4 cup cherry simple syrup (recipe follows)
- 1 1/2 ounces white rum
- Club soda
- Cherry simple syrup
- 3/4 cup bing cherries (stems removed and pitted)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- Make the simple syrup. Heat water and sugar over medium-low heat until sugar dissolves. Let cool slightly, then add to a blender along with the 3/4 cup bing cherries. Puree, then strain through a fine-mesh sieve into a small container or pitcher. Set aside.
- In a large, sturdy glass, muddle together the lime halves, mint, and cherries until the lime juice has been released and the mint and cherries are well-smashed.
- Stir in the cherry simple syrup and white rum.
- Fill glass with ice and top off with club soda. Add a wide straw, garnish with a mint sprig and a cherry, and serve.
Pingback: Bing Cherry Mojitos | So Delicious
Pingback: Pineapple Mojito Sangria | Kitchen Treaty
Pingback: 45+ Fresh Cherry Recipes | Cravings of a Lunatic