I love simple recipes, and this sandwich is a perfect example of just that. With only four ingredients – and that’s if you count the olive oil and coarse salt – it couldn’t be any more straightforward. The key is delicious, quality ingredients, prepared well. Go ahead and buy the perfect loaf of crusty bread at the store or your local bakery, but the peppers, you should definitely roast yourself.
This simple, easy sandwich is made up of two thick slices of artisan bread stuffed with a layer or two of olive-oil soaked, smoky-sweet roasted red peppers, sprinkled with a little kosher salt or sea salt.
I know, I know, it sounds a little boring, but trust me. These simple ingredients together make magic. The olive oil soaks just a little into the bread, and the flecks of coarse salt make the flavors burst.
Wrap a couple in waxed paper and head off for a perfectly simple – and just plain perfect – summer picnic.
Make mini versions of this simple sandwich with little freshly-baked baguette slices, and pile them high on a tall cake stand.
Roasted Red Pepper Sandwiches
- Roasted red peppers
- Rustic artisan bread of your choice (sliced about 1/2-inch thick)
- Your favorite good-quality olive oil
- Coarse salt like kosher or sea salt
- Roast the red peppers and place them in a jar of olive oil (instructions here).
- Layer a few roasted red pepper slices on a slice of bread and sprinkle with coarse salt to taste.
- Top with second slice of bread and slice sandwich in half. Serve.