Cozy, hearty, delicious, and oh-so easy – that’s this Crock Pot Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup This vegetarian tortellini soup (with optional sausage for the meat-eaters) is unbelievably easy to put together – the base of the soup cooks up in the slow cooker all day while you’re away, then you add spinach, tortellini, and the creamy components when you come home. Aaaand serve!
The savory broth with the cheese from the tortellini and extra parmesan on top along with the perfect bite of freshness from the spinach makes for the perfect combination.
Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup Ingredients
What do we have for ingredients in this tortellini-soup-in-Crock-Pot goodness?
- Onion, carrots, and garlic, first and foremost – the backbone of a delicious soup
- Oregano, basil, and bay leaf – flavor, please!
- Crushed tomatoes
- Veggie broth
- Cheese tortellini – feel free to use dry, fresh, or frozen
- Baby spinach
- Half and half
- Mozzarella & parmesan cheese
- Salt & pepper
- Optional sweet Italian sausage for the meat-eaters
How to Make It
First, add the veggies (except spinach), herbs, tomatoes, and broth to the Crock Pot. No need to sauté anything first! Then cook on slow for a few hours. Come on back and add the tortellini and spinach, then stir in the half and half and cheeses. That’s it! So easy. The slow cooker does all the work in this one! Keep on scrolling for the full, printable recipe.
As we get into the colder weather and soups start to make more frequent appearances on the dinner table, this creamy tortellini soup with tomatoes, spinach and a meat-lovers option of sweet Italian sausage is the perfect way to easily feed the family and keep things simple, hearty and comforting.
We love this one for easy weeknight dinners. The Crock Pot makes everything better!
Crock Pot Creamy Spinach Tortellini Soup
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (diced; about 1 cup)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped; about 3/4 cup)
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced; about 2 teaspoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt ( + more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper ( + more to taste)
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes (one large can)
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth (32 ounces)
- 12 ounces cheese tortellini (use dry, fresh, or frozen**)
- 4 ounces baby spinach (about 4 cups packed)
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (1 ounce)
If adding sausage:
- Ground sweet Italian sausage (3/4 pound if adding to all; use about 1/3 pound if adding to half)
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic, spices, tomatoes and broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until the carrots are tender, 3-6 hours (time varies depending on your slow cooker. If you cook it for longer – say, 8 hours – it won’t hurt).
- Add the tortellini to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover, and cook on high 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stir until wilted, cover again, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Warm the half and half in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the cream, mozzarella, and Parmesan to the slow cooker. Stir until thoroughly combined and turn off the heat.
- Remove bay leaf. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If adding sausage, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sausage to the pan and brown, breaking into small pieces with a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks. Add cooked sausage to individual servings.
* Herb note* Can substitute 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning for the oregano and basil
** Tortellini noteIf using fresh or frozen tortellini, it will take less time to cook than dry tortellini.
Meat option:Add cooked Italian sweet sausage to individual portions.
Recipe written by Gina of Running to the Kitchen as a contributor to Kitchen Treaty.