Note from Kare: Gina from Running to the Kitchen is here today sharing her oh-so comforting recipe for this creamy slow cooker tortellini soup. It’s cozy, hearty, and – maybe most important – EASY!
I know chicken noodle is supposed to be the token “feel better soup,” but I honestly can’t think of a single time my mom made that in our house, sick or not. No hard feelings on that one as it’s actually one of my least favorites. Sick food was always a big bowl of tortellini in broth, lots of cheese and a sprinkling of parsley. It was perfection.
The savory broth with the cheese from the tortellini and extra parmesan on top along with the perfect bite of freshness from the parsley was happily slurped down by us all. To this day, even at 34, I want nothing else when I start to feel under the weather.
It’s because of that soup that I have a soft spot for tortellini. Those little pasta bundles filled with cheese are pure comfort food to me and it’s hard to pass up any recipe with them.
As we get into the colder weather and soups start to make more frequent appearances on the dinner table, this creamy tortellini soup with tomatoes, spinach and a meat-lovers option of sweet Italian sausage is the perfect way to easily feed the family and keep things simple, hearty and comforting.
The slow cooker does all the work in this one! All the better when you’re under the weather.
Slow Cooker Creamy Tortellini Spinach Soup
- 1/2 medium yellow onion (diced (about 1 cup))
- 2 medium carrots (peeled and chopped (about 3/4 cup))
- 2 medium cloves garlic (minced (about 2 teaspoons))
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano*
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil*
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper + more to taste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups 1 32-ounce box vegetable broth
- 1 12-ounce package dry cheese tortellini
- 4 cups about 4 ounces packed baby spinach
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup 2 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup 1 ounce grated Parmesan cheese
If adding sausage:
- Ground sweet Italian sausage (3/4 pound if adding to all; use about 1/3 pound if adding to half)
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic, spices, tomatoes and broth to the slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on low until the carrots are tender, 3-6 hours (time varies depending on your slow cooker. If you cook it for longer - say, 8 hours - it won't hurt).
- Add the tortellini to the slow cooker, stir to combine, cover, and cook on high 20 minutes.
- Add the spinach, stir until wilted, cover again, and cook another 5 minutes.
- Warm the half and half in the microwave for 30 seconds. Add the cream, mozzarella, and Parmesan to the slow cooker. Stir until thoroughly combined and turn off the heat.
- Remove bay leaf. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- If adding sausage, place a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add sausage to the pan and brown, breaking into small pieces with a spatula or wooden spoon as it cooks. Add cooked sausage to individual servings.
Meat option:Add cooked Italian sweet sausage to individual portions.