The first time I tried to make a salad sandwich with chickpeas (also known as garbanzo beans), I neglected to smash them. It didn’t really occur to me that they’d roll all around and out of the sandwich as I tried to eat it. Don’t get me wrong, it was still tasty. Just, you know. Awkward.
Not the sharpest tool in the shed, yours truly. But I finally figured it out. And I’ve enjoyed many smashed chickpea salad sandwiches since. This one, though, is my favorite, hands down.
It’s pretty simple. Chickpeas, hard-boiled eggs, all the ingredients for perfect simple guacamole, and maybe a touch of mayo if you’re so inclined – but the avocado is so creamy, it’s really not necessary.
Slap it in between two slices of your favorite sandwich bread, and you’re a happy little bean.
By the way, it’s National Egg Salad week, which is the week after Easter every year. Totally makes sense, right?
Here are a few more innovative egg salad recipes from around the blogosphere if you’ve got even more eggs to use up.
- Greek yogurt egg salad – Damn Delicious
- Fat-free tofu “egg” salad – Happy Herbivore
- Avocado egg salad – Skinny Taste
- Curried egg salad – 101 Cookbooks
- An egg salad sandwich, eight ways – The Kitchn
- Open-faced egg salad sandwiches – The Curvy Carrot
- Edamame egg salad – Spa Bettie
Smashed Chickpea Guacamole Egg Salad
- 1 cup canned chickpeas (garbanzo beans, drained (cooked dried chickpeas work too))
- 1 medium avocado (large diced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 medium clove garlic (very finely diced or grated (about 1/2 teaspoon))
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or other coarse salt
- 4 [url href="https://www.kitchentreaty.com/how-to-make-perfect-hard-boiled-eggs-my-favorite-method/"]hard-boiled eggs[/url] (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise (optional)
- Additional salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- In a medium bowl, mash the chickpeas with a fork.
- Add the avocado, lemon juice, garlic, and kosher salt. Mash until blended, keeping a few chunks of avocado if you prefer.
- Gently stir in the eggs and mayo (if using).
- Taste and add additional salt and pepper if necessary.
- Divide egg salad between four slices of bread and top with remaining bread. Slice in half and serve immediately.
avocado is such a perfect food with so many uses! egg salad is a genius idea!
thank you for sharing mine – it is quite popular with my readers 🙂 today is the beginning of Meatless Monday from A to Z – and it is avocado week! you should link up your recipe, it would be perfect!
Hey! Thanks for the heads up on Meatless Monday from A to Z. What fun and perfect timing!
I really need to get more creative with avocados, I always do really boring things with them but this is a great idea 🙂
You can’t go wrong with avocados. Even plain they’re just so dang amazing! 🙂
I’ve never been big on egg salad, but adding chickpeas might get me to come around. 🙂
If you don’t like it then you shoulda put a chickpea on it?
I’m desperately trying to make this into a Beyonce song. Lord help me. 😉
Mmm. Sounds good. I happen to have all the ingredients in the house right now too though I was planning to use that can of chick peas to try a recipe roasting them with lime for snack food. Decisions, decisions!
Oh, gosh. Roasted chickpeas with lime sounds like absolute heaven. I am obsessed with crunchy roasted chickpeas! Sorry, I’m no help here. 🙂
I’ve been wanting to experiment with guacamole, not just with nachos! This is a good idea to start with.
I do highly recommend experimenting, but then again, guacamole + nachos is absolute perfection!
Oh, love the idea of adding chickpeas to egg salad!
I love the idea of using avocados and chickpeas with eggs to make an egg salad! Brilliant! So much more nutritious, and I bet it’s tasty, too.
I love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.
Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com and your photos published on FoodieNewz without any editorial review.
Pingback: 75+ Avocado Recipes #LoveAvocado - Alida's Kitchen
Pingback: Meal Planning Monday - Christinas Adventures
Made these for my family today, and they loved it! I can’t eat eggs but one day I’ll try substituting mashed tofu for the egg, and maybe a bit of olive oil for the mayo…oh! and my mother’s special touch: chopped Spanish olives with pimento and some minced onion! Yum!