Are smoothies passé yet? I feel like they might be, but on the other hand, I really hope they’re never “out.” They’re such a great way to pack in a ton of nutrients – and satisfy a sweet tooth attack too.
This version’s a bit heartier than some, thanks to the addition of oats. I’ve done that once before, in this Blueberry Oatmeal Smoothie, and I figured it was time I did it again.
Oats are an awesome addition to smoothies. Aside from the added fiber, they bulk up your typical fruity base to help keep you satisfied for longer.
I love cranberry smoothies this time of year – not only for the health factor, but also because they’re just so darn seasonal! I mean, you can’t not look at this smoothie’s rosy hue and NOT feel good, am I right? (To feel even better, drink it too!)
Oh, and just an aside: pineapple may seem like a strange ingredient to add to the list, but stay with me here! The sweetness of the pineapple is the perfect counterpoint to the tart cranberries – no extra sweetener needed.
Spiced Cranberry Oat Smoothie
- 3 tablespoons rolled oats
- 1/3 cup unsweetened almond milk (or your milk of choice)
- 1/3 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/3 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/4 - 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Add all ingredients to the pitcher of a blender and puree until smooth. Serve.