So, zucchini fries. Not a new concept in the blogosphere and beyond, but something that flew under my radar until only recently. When I caught a glimpse of these crispy goodies during one of my many massive pinning sessions (ahem, can you say “Pinterest addiction”?), I knew they had to be mine.
Zucchini. Cut into fry shapes. Breaded in spicy Panko bread crumbs. Baked until crispy. Dipped in a cool, lemony, dill-infused Greek yogurt dip.
I’m pointing at my belly. Get in there, zucchini fries.
More dipping suggestions
Just want the fries but notsomuch the dip? These are also great dipped in ranch, and though I’ve not tried it personally, I’ve seen lots of folks go the marinara route, and that looks darn good too.
Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries with Greek Yogurt Dill Dip
Spicy Baked Zucchini Fries
- 1 pound zucchini (cut into 4" - 5" sticks)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or less or more depending on your heat preference)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Greek Yogurt Dill Dip
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 small clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Make the dip
- In a small bowl, blend together the yogurt, garlic, dill, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Make the zucchini fries
- Heat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Prepare your ingredients: Place flour in a large Ziploc bag. Crack eggs into a shallow dish and whisk along with 2 tablespoons water. Mix Panko breadcrumbs, salt, pepper, garlic powder, and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish.
- Add zucchini to the Ziploc bag with flour and shake gently until all pieces are covered.
- Working with three or four sticks at a time, dip the zucchini sticks in the egg mixture then place in the Panko mixture, turning to coat. Gently lay on the baking sheet. Repeat, mixing the Panko breadcrumbs often to keep spices distributed, until all pieces are coated.
- Evenly drizzle olive oil on top of fries.
- Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until all sides are golden brown.
- Serve immediately with dip.