This moist lemon cake with glaze is exceptionally lemony with the kind of crumb you want from a cake. The tangy glaze heightens the zippy lemon and keeps everything sweet, tender, and perfect.
Plus, it’s a cinch to prepare – you whip it all up right there in its 8-inch by 8-inch baking dish. So so easy!
Here’s the recipe!
Moist Lemon Cake with Glaze
For the cake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 3/4 cup buttermilk (you can make your own: 3/4 cup milk + about a tablespoon lemon juice, let sit for about 10 minutes, done!)
For the glaze
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (melted)
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit, and butter an 8-inch x 8-inch baking pan.
- Pour the flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt directly into the pan, and whisk it all together well.
- In a small bowl, beat together the egg and the lemon zest.
- Using the back of a spoon, make two wells in the flour mixture.
- Pour the egg and lemon zest into one of the wells in the flour mixture.
- Pour the melted butter into the other well.
- Pour the buttermilk all over the top.
- Whisk it all together so that it’s well blended. There may be a few lumps – no biggie!
- Bake for about 30 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely.
- Make the glaze: Mix together the powdered sugar, lemon juice, and melted butter.
- Pour the glaze over the cooled cake.
- Cut into squares and serve with whipping cream or vanilla ice cream.