Vegan avocado crema is a total dream-a. (Sorry, sorry. I couldn’t help myself).
But seriously. This Avocado Crema is the most insanely delicious sauce.
Creamy avocado, tangy lime, spicy jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, and a handful of cashews thrown in for even more creaminess – I mean, it’s called “crema” after all, so I couldn’t not.
To make this versatile, full-of-flavor avocado sauce, simply whip all of the ingredients together in your blender or food processor, then adjust the water and salt to your preference. I use a high-powered blender (Vitamix for the win!) and it’s perfect.
Vegan avocado crema seriously ups the ante of so many culinary situations. It adds an element of creamy that I find to be missing in a lot of vegan dishes.
I serve this avocado crema with all kinds of Mexican-inspired and southwestern dishes – dip in your quesadilla (especially this chipotle butternut + black bean goodness), drizzle over tacos, add a generous dollop to your black beans and rice … so SO good.
Vegan Avocado Crema
- 2 large limes, zested and juiced (you want about 1/4 cup of juice. Because lime juiciness can really vary, if you're not sure about how juicy your limes are, you may want to grab a couple extra just in case. )
- 1 medium ripe avocado (pitted and flesh scooped)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed (for more heat, keep a few (or all!) of the seeds)
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 medium clove garlic
- 1/4 cup raw cashews
- 1 tsp kosher salt (plus more to taste)
- 1 cup water (+ more until you reach your desired thickness)
- Add all ingredients to a food processor or high-powered blender. Note for those using a lighter blender: I recommend soaking the cashews in boiling water for 20 minutes first and mincing the garlic before adding it.
- Blend until entirely pureed, about one minute.
- Add more water, a couple tablespoons at a time, until the sauce is as thin as you want. Some people like more of a sour cream consistency with their crema, I like mine a smidge thinner so that I can drizzle it easily.
- Taste and add more salt if desired.