I was a vegetarian long before I ever tried sushi. The truth is, after my decision to go meatless (and seafood-less), it just wasn’t high on my must-try list, because I mistakenly assumed that sushi = fish. Then a smarter-than-me friend schooled me – sushi actually doesn’t always have to have fish! Basically, sushi is a wide variety of foods made with vinegared rice that’s shaped into balls and rolled into rolls, along with all kinds of good stuff on and in them. It wasn’t long before I was noshing on avocado rolls, cucumber rolls, veggie rolls, tempura veggie rolls, tofu rolls … basically, I went on a vegetarian sushi roll binge (that, um, lasted years). Such, such good stuff.
My favorite, the classic veggie roll, was the inspiration for this Veggie Roll Sushi Bowl. Carrots, cucumber, and avocado along with vinegared rice, sesame seeds, and a dressing with that classic must-have sushi roll accompaniment, wasabi and soy sauce. Instead of white rice, I’ve swapped in the healthier brown rice – seasoned with rice vinegar and dotted with toasted sesame seeds. And I added some vibrant green edamame for a hit of protein.
And then we’ve got the dressing. The dressing! It’s kind of insane. In a good way. Tahini makes it super creamy and kicks up the sesame flavors (toasted sesame oil helps too). Tamari or soy sauce along with wasabi – a little or a lot, your choice – really bring the dressing to life.
I love that this brings together the flavors of veggie rolls without having to, you know, actually roll the suckers. All the flavors of sushi at home, without the work, money, or fish! Win win.
Veggie Roll Sushi Bowl with Creamy Sesame-Wasabi Dressing
For the Sesame Rice:
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds*
- Pinch salt & sugar
For the Creamy Sesame-Wasabi Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Tamari or soy sauce
- 1-2 teaspooons wasabi paste (to taste)
For the Veggie Roll Sushi Bowls:
- 1 cup Sesame Rice
- 1/2 cup diced cucumber (about 1/2 medium, peeled or unpeeled, your choice)
- 1 medium avocado (diced (about 1/2 cup))
- 1/2 cup diced carrots (about 1 medium)
- 1/3 cup shelled cooked edamame
- Creamy Sesame-Wasabi Dressing (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds
Make the Sesame rice:
- In a small bowl, stir together the rice, vinegar, sesame seeds, salt, and sugar.
Make the Creamy Sesame-Wasabi Dressing:
- Add all ingredients to a small bowl. Stir briskly with a whisk until combined and creamy. If the dressing is too thick, add a bit more olive oil to thin it out.
Assemble your Veggie Roll Rice Bowls:
- Place the rice in the bowl. Top with cucumbers, carrots, avocado, and edamame. Drizzle with dressing and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon toasted sesame seeds. Serve.