The combo of strawberries and peanut butter in this PB&J Smoothie reminds me of my fave peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but in smoothie form. No bread – or chewing – needed!
See, I really needed a heart meal that I didn’t need to chew.
The Story Behind the Recipe
I’ve spent much of my adult life fearing the dreaded root canal. And last week, I finally had that fear realized. Was it painful, you ask? Was it torture? Pure h-e-double-hockeysticks? Nope! My root canal was awesome! It was fast, it was painless (once I was finally numb enough), and most of all, it was pure relief, baby. Sometimes you don’t realize just quite how much pain you were in until the pain’s gone. Ahhhhhhh. All better. Take that, tooth! In your face, fear!
Several hours after the whole affair, I was really, really hungry – and still really really numb. A liquid dinner was going to have to be on the menu; the only question was, which smoothie should I make? My mind first turned to one of these, but I was craving something fruity – and I needed something dairy-free. Enter the PB&J Smoothie!
PB&J Smoothie Ingredients
It’s a very simple list of ingredients!
- Banana – frozen, if you like, but it’s not necessary if you use frozen strawberries & ice cubes
- Milk of choice (I use almond milk usually)
- Creamy peanut butter
- Strawberries – fresh or frozen, I usually use frozen in this one
- Ice cubes
Here’s the full, printable recipe. I love this Peanut Butter & Jelly Smoothie whether I’ve had recent dental work or not – and I hope you do too!
- 1 medium banana*
- 1/2 cup almond milk (I use unsweetened) (or milk of choice)
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter (I like creamy natural-style + more for topping if desired)
- 1/2 cup frozen strawberries**
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth. Pour into a glass.
- Drizzle with additional peanut butter if desired. If your peanut butter is thick to drizzle, place it in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for about 30 seconds until thinned; it should be easier to drizzle when warm.