We’re still dealing with a seriously picky-eating toddler over here. I joke that bacon is one of her food groups; except that’s not really a joke – it’s kind of the truth. And if she had her way, chocolate would be another food group. At least our kid has something in common with her vegetarian chocoholic mama.
If we want to feel reasonably confident she’ll at least try something, we take a cue from Portlandia: we put a bird on it. Except, you know, not a bird. A mini chocolate chip. Or 5.
It also helps when she “assists” in the kitchen, and muffins have sort of become a morning ritual for us. Earlier this week, we made these Whole Wheat Carrot Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins. She got to sprinkle the chocolate chips on top; I got to hide veggies in her muffins. She got to quality test every other chocolate chip that passed through her hands; I got to sweep the flour off the floor. Yin and yang, my daughter and I. The dynamic muffin-making duo.
She loves these little muffins – they’re just her size. Sure, they have mini chocolate chips in them, but they also have lots of good stuff, too. And, hey – no bacon in sight for once!
These hearty little muffins are made with 100% whole wheat flour, carrots, brown sugar, and mini chocolate chips, along with, of course, a few other standard muffin ingredients. The carrot is pretty subtle, though the combination of carrot and cinnamon do give these a bit of a carrot cake vibe.
The only problem I have with these? Keeping enough around for my kid. With their chocolate chips and cute mini size, these are entirely too irresistible for adults, too.
Whole Wheat Carrot Chocolate Chip Mini Muffins
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup finely shredded carrot (use the small side of your grater)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup 1/2 of a stick unsalted butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips + 3 tablespoons for topping
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Grease the tins of a 24-cup mini muffin pan (or spray with non-stick cooking spray)
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, brown sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a small bowl, beat the egg and then whisk in the carrot, milk, butter, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined. Add the 1/3 cup chocolate chips and stir to incorporate.
- Divide the batter between muffin tins - about 1 1/2 tablespoons each (I use a cookie scoop).
- Sprinkle the tops with additional mini chocolate chips.
- Bake for about 8-9 minutes, until muffins are no longer jiggly and a toothpick inserted into the center of one comes out clean.
- Let cool for about 5 minutes in their tins, then carefully remove and place onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- These muffins keep 2 - 3 days at room temperature in an airtight container, or freeze.